Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Explorer GUAGES NOT WORKING, 4WD not working

rickmosley
02-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I have a 92 Explorer that I just bought. The guages are not working, and the 4wd is stuck in 4wd. 1st the 4wd- the lights on the in dash buttons are not on. I push the buttons and I don't hear a clicking where the control panel is in the rear drivers side. I looked at the motor on the transfer case, and it has been replaced with a used part from a wrecking yard. My question for this is- If the control box in the rear drivers side is not clicking- where would I start first?? Should I replace the box- should I take the motor off of the transfer case, or something else? Is there another relay to look for???? I checked all of the fuses- both under the dash and in the engine compartment, and they are all good. My second problem is the guages and tach- they do not work. I pulled the dash cluster out, and I don't see any circuits that are bad- I checked them with my meter. The previous owner put a monster amplifier and sound system in the car- could this be the source of the problem?? Both of these problems were there when I purchased the car (am I crazy??). Any help on either of these problems would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at : 4mosleys@sbcglobal.net

tacoma man.
02-14-2005, 06:44 PM
one of your metal breaker fuses are bad, everything stopped working in my moms 94 xlt, she took it back to the dealer and it was a breaker in the fuse box.

crashedu182
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
i just got a 92 that the box in the back clicks i replaced it today the old 1 was broken but the 4x4 light in the front wont come on and will not go into 4 x4 ...another thing the light on the black box 'shift control module' should it be on? it comes on when i trun the truck on then hit the little white button on the box

crashedu182
02-15-2005, 06:55 PM
i just found something i think it was on page 3 bout putting a bit of hose on a stop in the transfrecase motor i got to get the hose tomarrow but i think so far everything he said is right on

Add your comment to this topic!