Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front license plate bracket install?

Matt from FL
02-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey everyone. I think I found the right place for some answers...

Having moved from Florida to New York, I need to install a front license plate bracket on our '04 Malibu Maxx.

I ordered the part ($4 and change from the local dealership), and it looks simple enough: four holes to bolt/screw it onto the bumper, and four holes to bolt/screw the plate to.

From what I can tell there's nothing but a thin plastic cover over some styrofoam (Space Age Impact Absorbing Material!!! I'm sure) making up the bumper.

The bumper cover doesn't seem to be strong enough to mount the bracket to. Does anyone know if there's additional reinforcement behind there? (I just got the bracket, and I'm loathe to tear the whole front of my wife's new car apart just to see).

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

wpbharry
02-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Matt, yeah, even though we don't have front plates down here in FL, I have a signature plate (tropical scene) that I put on all of my vehicles, and the '04 Maxx posed a problem.

The bumpers on the '04s failed the bumper bash test, so I doubt they're much more than styrofoam...

Anyway, I had the dealer do it when I bought the car. Funny thing is, they couldn't figure out how to install a bracket, so they just attached it with two screws directly into the bumper (using the pre-drilled holes, I assume).

Anyway, I like the look better without a bracket.

You might ask a dealer to handle it if you're at all unsure.

Matt from FL
02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks Harry. I'll talk to the dealer and see what they'll charge for that.

Hopefully they have more experience here since they're required.

Add your comment to this topic!