Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Important: Model Tuners-05 Contest Rules

Pages : [1] 2

tomtheman2
02-13-2005, 07:44 AM
The 2005 Model tuners contest entries.

This is the 1st contest I have ever done. This contest is to show everyone how good your models are and how good you are at making them.

PLEASE remember this is just a bit of fun.
Please don’t feel disappointed if you don’t get many votes. Please enter your model pictures by sending me a private message with the pic with attached to it. Send me one picture of your model, of your choice. The pictures must be pictures of model cars or bike, NO REAL CARS, Please!

Please note that the rules asked for all pics to be uploaded from the AF web site.

How to vote
All you have to do is pick your top 3 and send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE with your votes

The voting points are
1st=3pts
2nd=2pts
3rd=1pt

The rules
You CAN NOT vote for your own model.
If a vote is suspect, I can check it out and it will be deleted along with your entry of the model.

You must send one pic of you model by Thursday 17th, or your car/Bike will not be entered!

If anybody else wants to donate a prize for the winner, PM me so I can add it to winners winning’s!

Have fun and good luck to all of you who have entered.
Please add a reply on your thoughts etc so I can have some feedback for the next one!! (If I do one!)

Tomtheman2 (Tom)

tomtheman2
02-13-2005, 08:40 AM
:feedback:

tomtheman2
02-13-2005, 09:08 AM
:feedback:
come on people!!

SupaMan89T
02-13-2005, 09:09 AM
i might enter my rx-7 in it....:)

tomtheman2
02-13-2005, 09:14 AM
yer it would be good to have to have at least one person joining in!
Tom

freakray
02-13-2005, 09:58 AM
We tend to only have one major contest here per year, it's called AF Model Of the Year ;)

tomtheman2
02-13-2005, 10:00 AM
We tend to only have one major contest here per year, it's called AF Model Of the Year ;)
yer but some people missed that and primera man said that i could do one.

freakray
02-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Please don't be annoyed if you get a small turnout.
History has shown that the small spinoff contests general get poor support.

Scale-Master
02-13-2005, 10:25 AM
How about posting the email address you would like people to send the pictures to? - Mark

Scale-Master
02-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Sorry, Nevermind, the coffee'e kicking in now... - Mark

white97ex
02-13-2005, 10:55 AM
this seems kind of short notice......

primera man
02-13-2005, 10:36 PM
yer but some people missed that and primera man said that i could do one.

I think my words were "Others have tried running contests and they dont seem to get to well supported. Most people seem to wait untill the AFMOTY.
We did find that we had a few going and people also good sick of them as they werent run very well

IMO we have just had one and its to close to the one thats just finished. Why not wait a few months?

SupaMan89T
02-14-2005, 12:35 AM
not saying your wrong p man but the problem with a big contest like AFMOTY is that little guys with models cant compete with something like the skyline masterpeice.I know its ppls choice but ppl are gonna pick the skyline over say a box stock supra. If somebody enters a smaller contest with a box stock supra could have a better chance of winning.

did that come out right? :(

spidereddie
02-14-2005, 12:56 AM
well i've got a little something I guess I can enter

hks_kansei
02-14-2005, 01:00 AM
can i enter a model i did 7 years ago?

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 02:37 AM
can i enter a model i did 7 years ago?
yes if you want

RallyRaider
02-14-2005, 03:36 AM
Good luck with your comp...

Next big thing is the Le Mans Comp in the Motorsport subfolder. :) Over fourty entries so far, but still a lot of work to do to get them finished in time. We're doing it in the middle of the year to be out of sync with the biggie.

crayzayjay
02-14-2005, 06:14 AM
We're doing it in the middle of the year to be out of sync with the biggie.
Why? how long does it take to throw one of those models together, a few hours?

:icon16:

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Update: We only have two models that have entered at the moment, so can we please try and have some more people sending more pics please!

Tom

SupaMan89T
02-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Update: We only have two models that have entered at the moment, so can we please try and have some more people sending more pics please!

Tom
ill get mine to you later today i gotta finish it :lol2:

p9o1r1sche
02-14-2005, 07:46 AM
You're complaining about having only two entries in 24 hours? You're in for a rude awakening. Most contests here allow a couple of months for entries and then may only have a handful. When it comes to contests, we're a lazy bunch. We do like to build and display, but its not to win contests. Please be patient and good luck with the contest.

hirofkd
02-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I like the idea, but I think the notice was way too short. There's the Le Mans contest going on until July, so can we discuss the schedule and move the tuner contest to...say, August or September? I should have at least two tuners ready by then.

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I like the idea, but I think the notice was way too short. There's the Le Mans contest going on until July, so can we discuss the schedule and move the tuner contest to...say, August or September? I should have at least two tuners ready by then.
Ok guy i will change the clossing date to a bit later on in the year, im very sorry i didn't mean to complain!

Tom

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Updated news PLEASE READ !!!!!!!!

You must send one pic of you model by March the 6th, which will give you 21 days(3 weeks) to enter your pics or your car/Bike will not be entered.

Tomtheman2 (Tom)

spidereddie
02-14-2005, 11:16 AM
bro, this is crazy. How do you expect everyone to finish a model in 3 weeks? If you just want people to send you pics of models they've done in the past, then that changes the whole feel of the contest.

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 11:46 AM
bro, this is crazy. How do you expect everyone to finish a model in 3 weeks? If you just want people to send you pics of models they've done in the past, then that changes the whole feel of the contest.
Anyone can build a model in 3 weeks! i built one in 4 days!

jswillmon
02-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I hope your not talking about the 350z on your site?

malsheem
02-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Previous polling shows that most members take 4 weeks to build a model, maybe longer if it were a contest level build. Plus, I would imagine some additional time for planning, picking up extra detail sets, or the right color paint. I figure at least 6 weeks minimum. My :2cents:.

Though all this is moot if your intentions are already completed models.

You might want to give more details on the contest itself, like when member voting opens and closes. Is there a pic limit of 1, 2, or more? Linking to a progress thread allowed? Also, the contest name is Model Tuners, so is this a Tuners only? If so, you'll need to be specific on what a "Tuner" is as definitions will vary from person to person.

Just providing some helpful comments. I think more contests than just AFMOTY is a good idea. Le Mans contest is great since it targets a segment that usually doesn't get much notice in AFMOTY (as it is mostly road cars). Good luck with your contest.

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 11:51 AM
I hope your not talking about the 350z on your site?
No my mazda rx-7

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Previous polling shows that most members take 4 weeks to build a model, maybe longer if it were a contest level build. Plus, I would imagine some additional time for planning, picking up extra detail sets, or the right color paint. I figure at least 6 weeks minimum. My :2cents:.

Though all this is moot if your intentions are already completed models.

You might want to give more details on the contest itself, like when member voting opens and closes. Is there a pic limit of 1, 2, or more? Linking to a progress thread allowed? Also, the contest name is Model Tuners, so is this a Tuners only? If so, you'll need to be specific on what a "Tuner" is as definitions will vary from person to person.

Just providing some helpful comments. I think more contests than just AFMOTY is a good idea. Le Mans contest is great since it targets a segment that usually doesn't get much notice in AFMOTY (as it is mostly road cars). Good luck with your contest.

Ok sorry, The contest is for any type of bike/car, Dont get put off by the name, (Model tuners) and i can see where you are comming from to make the closing date a bit longer. The pic limit, as i said in the first post, is one pic only. You can start to send me your pics any time now if you want,But i dout that you will have finished a model yet.
The closing date to get your pics in is in March the 13th on a Sunday, 35 days time. After this date, i will put together all of the pics and i will post them all on one thread, After i have done this everyone (only members though) can PM me there top three model's that they like the most. On the 27th of March i will total up the scores and see who has won!
I hope that that will help everyone, if you need more info just ask!

Tom

Hiroboy
02-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I can see anywhere what prize you are offering.
surley that is very important part of a contest to most peolpe.
2 week holiday in Japan?

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh yes sorry about that i forgot to mention it, the prize will be a set of 1:24 scale http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ19252
Sorry i cant post a pic, it wouldn't let me!

Tom

malsheem
02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
I can see anywhere what prize you are offering.
surley that is very important part of a contest to most peolpe.
2 week holiday in Japan?

Now that's a cool prize. Sign me up! :iceslolan

Okay, since there is no restriction on car type and a month more of build time, I'll bite. I should have either the Chaser, JP Celsior, Sil80, or CWest R34 finished by then.

Sticky Fingers
02-14-2005, 12:50 PM
How can you build a car in 4 days??? It's not possible! Even just for the bodyshell!!

1) Wash, Dry & Prime body = 1 day.
2) Wait for primer to dry = 1 day to 1 week.
3) Paint body = 1 day
4) Wait for paint to dry/cure = 1 week (at least)
5) Add clearcoat = 1 day
6) Wait for clearcoat to dry/cure = 2 weeks

Total for body = 3wks 4 days (min), 4wks 3 days (max)

And, obviously there's a whole lot more going on than just the body. 4 days aint possible - even if we had 4 days off with nothing else to do.

You gotta be realistic mate. There's a lot of people on here with jobs/wives/kids and these people aren't lucky enough to get the chance to do modelling every night. I, for one am lucky if I get around 12 hours a week.

tomtheman2
02-14-2005, 01:27 PM
How can you build a car in 4 days??? It's not possible! Even just for the bodyshell!!

3) Paint body = 1 day
5) Add clearcoat = 1 day

And, obviously there's a whole lot more going on than just the body. 4 days aint possible - even if we had 4 days off with nothing else to do.

You gotta be realistic mate. There's a lot of people on here with jobs/wives/kids and these people aren't lucky enough to get the chance to do modelling every night. I, for one am lucky if I get around 12 hours a week.I can see your point but iv got every night to do work on my models! :bananasmi

Tom

freakray
02-14-2005, 03:18 PM
The prize is a set of wheels??

OMG.....:lol:

RallyRaider
02-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey it ain't about the prizes Ray, its about... umm... what is it about? :dunno:

SupaMan89T
02-14-2005, 03:34 PM
not to be rude but this guy just wants to have some fun and your laughing at him for it? doesnt matter what you enter or if you even enter you shouldnt laugh and make jokes about it.....

willimo
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
I hate to belabor the point here, but...

Contests are big things. Lots goes into them. AFMOTY is our big all-models welcome contest. The LeMans contest is a motorsport section specific contest, and started in order to kick off the subforum. There are various other contests that spring up, and don't get my wrong, all are welcome! but the smaller ones are usually themed, and go after a segment of community that doesn't get a lot of play (ie: VIP contest, Offroad contest, Bike contest, etc.). If you want to make this little so that a box stock Supra (for example) can stand a chance, what are you going to do, exempt Skylines? Detailed projects? Limit the entry to people who are new to modeling? You seem to have a specific idea in mind here, and I encourage you to go after it, but to do so you need to be clear about who or what you want to participate, and you need to structure your contest so that it works out how you like. Don't be discouraged, just plan ahead a little more, and you'll get a better reception.

RallyRaider
02-14-2005, 03:54 PM
not to be rude but this guy just wants to have some fun and your laughing at him for it? doesnt matter what you enter or if you even enter you shouldnt laugh and make jokes about it.....

I for one am not laughing, just puzzled at the reasons for doing this at such short notice and without clear rules or intentions.

ImolaEK
02-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey it ain't about the prizes Ray, its about... umm... what is it about? :dunno:

:lol:

freakray
02-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I for one am not laughing, just puzzled at the reasons for doing this at such short notice and without clear rules or intentions.

Exactly.

Normally a thread is put up before a contest is announced to gauge interest in general.

SupaMan89T
02-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Exactly.

Normally a thread is put up before a contest is announced to gauge interest in general.
i agree that it is short notice but as we can tell he looks to be novice at it and i think he said it was his first time so i dont blame him im entering.

EDIT rally after reading that post again i get what you ment first time i read it it came out sarcastic and sorta rude sorry for the comment on it

tonioseven
02-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Not unless there's a gun to my head :uhoh:

kicth
02-14-2005, 11:25 PM

lol, this is funny :lol:

nis.k.a.
02-14-2005, 11:34 PM

3) Paint body = 1 day
5) Add clearcoat = 1 day

:iagree:

tomtheman2
02-15-2005, 01:28 AM
We have now got 3 models entered at the moment!

Tom

Vric
02-15-2005, 09:10 AM

:lol: nice one :D

A kit should take at least 3 weeks do to, unless you rush it and have no life.

SupaMan89T
02-15-2005, 09:51 AM
:lol: nice one :D

A kit should take at least 3 weeks do to, unless you rush it and have no life.
that would be me :evillol:

KTem
02-15-2005, 10:35 AM
The 17th?
That's a pity, I would have liked to enter my Supra...
But I have to order new bodywork first, I smashed the previous one...
That will take one week to order so I won't be finished before 17th.
Too bad.

cj_baller13
02-15-2005, 11:08 AM
im gonna enter my Tom's Supra (street version) interior is almost done, will post pics soon. body is gonna be tamiya gold leaf

mickbench
02-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I've got to fully agree with sticky fingers. You can't build a car in four days...!!

I saw Hiyoboy build a car in 12 days, and he was off work and worked on it almost fulltime..!!

The average for a car is around 3 - 4 weeks from what I've read. I've also read that te average working time, not including drying times is anything from 25 - 40 hours..!!

Also I would enter my Modena 360 - as in my sig, but it's not a tuner model and TBH I didn't build it for competition, just for fun and learning...!! :rofl:

Bas Carwash
02-15-2005, 04:02 PM
First off, stop changing those regulations!!! I don't understand anything about that rules anymore!!!

The idea to set up a contest is a very nobel one. We need people that like to take care at these kinds of things. But those people should know that it can't be organized and held en judged in one or two months. It takes time! Plan a date, lets say two months away from now for the first entries to come in. Then drop a deadline 3 months away, so people got three months time to work on there entry. Then time would be no issue anymore. For most people...

Make sure you get some support in prizes. A big contest with a set of wheels for the winner? Common, you better do no prize and just the honnor then, a set of wheels doesn't make any sense. Besides that, make sure you got a serious number of entries. Being best out of 6 or 7 builds, you better make sure the builds are first class like the top 10 from the AFMOTY '04, else the honnor wouldn't really be worth it either.

Keep your rules for the contest clear, give people time, arrange some nice prizes, make sure you got at least 15 - 20 entries and don't try to organize a contest directly after the latest big contest. Just my :2cents:

freakray
02-15-2005, 08:18 PM
First off, stop changing those regulations!!! I don't understand anything about that rules anymore!!!

The idea to set up a contest is a very nobel one. We need people that like to take care at these kinds of things. But those people should know that it can't be organized and held en judged in one or two months. It takes time! Plan a date, lets say two months away from now for the first entries to come in. Then drop a deadline 3 months away, so people got three months time to work on there entry. Then time would be no issue anymore. For most people...

Make sure you get some support in prizes. A big contest with a set of wheels for the winner? Common, you better do no prize and just the honnor then, a set of wheels doesn't make any sense. Besides that, make sure you got a serious number of entries. Being best out of 6 or 7 builds, you better make sure the builds are first class like the top 10 from the AFMOTY '04, else the honnor wouldn't really be worth it either.

Keep your rules for the contest clear, give people time, arrange some nice prizes, make sure you got at least 15 - 20 entries and don't try to organize a contest directly after the latest big contest. Just my :2cents:

:iagree:

Feint Motion
02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
I would be more than happy to enter, but your missing organization. This is one reason why people aren't really interested.

tomtheman2
02-16-2005, 03:34 AM
I've got to fully agree with sticky fingers. You can't build a car in four days...!!

I saw Hiyoboy build a car in 12 days, and he was off work and worked on it almost fulltime..!!

The average for a car is around 3 - 4 weeks from what I've read. I've also read that te average working time, not including drying times is anything from 25 - 40 hours..!!

Also I would enter my Modena 360 - as in my sig, but it's not a tuner model and TBH I didn't build it for competition, just for fun and learning...!! :rofl:
It doesnt have to be a tuner to enter. It can be any type.

Tom

tomtheman2
02-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Ok i have now sorted out every thing and have changed all of the times once agian to keep you all happy!

47 days to enter from now. So get building!

This is the 1st contest I have ever done. This contest is to show everyone how good your models are and how good you are at making them.

PLEASE remember this is just a bit of fun.
Please don’t feel disappointed if you don’t get many votes. Please enter your model pictures by sending me a private message with the pic with attached to it. Send me one picture of your model, of your choice. The pictures must be pictures of model cars or bike, NO REAL CARS, Please!

Please note that the rules asked for all pics to be uploaded from the AF web site.

How to vote
All you have to do is pick your top 3 and send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE with your votes

The voting points are
1st=3pts
2nd=2pts
3rd=1pt

The rules
You CAN NOT vote for your own model.
If a vote is suspect, I can check it out and it will be deleted along with your entry of the model.

You must send one pic of you model by Sunday 3rd April, or your car/Bike will not be entered!

The prize for the winner is a set of 1/24 Yokohama Model 5 18in Wheels.

Have fun and good luck to all of you who have entered.
Please add a reply on your thoughts etc so I can have some feedback for the next one!! (If I do one!)

Tomtheman2 (Tom)

tomtheman2
02-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Update: We now have 4 models entered into the contest.

Tom

atlas000
02-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Wur 'day at! :naughty: Do you have a link where we can see them? :p

tomtheman2
02-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Wur 'day at! :naughty: Do you have a link where we can see them? :p
No sorry, you must wait until the contest closes.

Tom

Add your comment to this topic!