Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Explorer Limited - Towing/Rear Lighting info.

sjcmtw
02-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Simple question I hope !

I need to tow an 18' boat on trailer. The Ball hitch is 2" diameter on the Explorer back step and the guidelines say I should be able to pull up to 3500lbs gross trailer weight.

What I need to know is

1. Is this acceptable - anyone pulled an 18' boat/trailer on a 2" ball that is on the Explorer back step? My best guess the gross weight of boat and trailer is about 2000 lbs - 2500 lbs.

2. More importantly - does the 1994 Limited Explorer have a flat 4 pin connector somewhere for connecting the explorer lights to the trailer lights?

If not will I need to purchase a trailer wiring extension kit or an extension kit and start splicing (L/R brake lights, L/R tail lights, L/R flashers)?

Any ideas on what the best type to get if I have to go this route?

Anyone done this to date and if so any diagrams or information anyone has would be appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

stanbell
02-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Do not count on your bumper to tow your 18foot boat. It will let you down sooner than you think. To pull the boat out of the water you will be pulling more than the boat weights. I have a small 14foot fiberglass with a 50hp and it weights 2000lb. Your boat with a larger motor will weight somewhat more. Get a hitch installed. Since you do not have a hitch already than you probably do not have a towing package which means that you do not have a connection. You can get a wiring harness that will fit onto your existing harness, on your truck. Just unplug the connections, an plug the new harness into the old. Takes about 5 min.

Add your comment to this topic!