Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Explorer Sport stuck in 4 low

carlfused
02-12-2005, 02:52 PM
The other day while driving down the road 35mph in 2 wheel drive I heard this noise like something let loose and the vehicle began to shake violently. I pulled over and looked under the front and all appeared normal but the frpnt differential had steam coming from it. I let it sit for a couple hours there and then drove it home which is like 5 miles away. I get home and checked the pumpkin for gear oil and there was none in it I filled that to where it is supposed to be and then the vehicle seemed fine. This morning I go to leave and notice it feels like it is in low range so I jack the vehicle up and for sure it is in 4x4. This is a push button none of the lights are on and if you push them you hear the module in the rear clicking but the hubs and differential never disengage. I am at a loss and any help would be appreciated. I have tried tapping the shift motor on the transfer case but that did not help.

carlfused
02-16-2005, 08:36 AM
The other day while driving down the road 35mph in 2 wheel drive I heard this noise like something let loose and the vehicle began to shake violently. I pulled over and looked under the front and all appeared normal but the frpnt differential had steam coming from it. I let it sit for a couple hours there and then drove it home which is like 5 miles away. I get home and checked the pumpkin for gear oil and there was none in it I filled that to where it is supposed to be and then the vehicle seemed fine. This morning I go to leave and notice it feels like it is in low range so I jack the vehicle up and for sure it is in 4x4. This is a push button none of the lights are on and if you push them you hear the module in the rear clicking but the hubs and differential never disengage. I am at a loss and any help would be appreciated. I have tried tapping the shift motor on the transfer case but that did not help.

Noone in here ever see anything like this I take it?

rudder
02-16-2005, 05:02 PM
I had this problem when I got on the highway and I noticed that I wasnt really accelerating past 35. I pulled over and dinked around with it, but I finally solved it by turning the nob to 2wd and then shifting into into low gear and driving a little bit and the 4wd disengaged. It sounds like your problem might be a little more complicated then that, but thats what happened to my car and theres a slight chance it might work.

carlfused
03-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I got it fixed. Was the shift motor had shorted out somehow and took out the push button on the dash at the same time.

Add your comment to this topic!