Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Submission

CheckEngine
02-12-2005, 08:04 AM
I have an '01 Sierra 1500 (4wd, 5.3L, Auto) last week I was driving down the road & I noticed that the engine seemed to be taching up higher than usually before it would up shift, I then tried to get it to shift down (hit passing gear) the engine roared to life, like I hit neutral. I pulled into a gas station to check the tranny fluid, hoping that it was low & causing the tranny to slip... No luck, it was right on the money. When I got in the truck & put it in reverse & it was a no go. I limped the truck home.I had a tranny service at 60k miles (last April). The other day I went out to move the truck out of the drive way so that I could plow where it layed at rest & I drove it a little way down the road & it wouldn't shift at all (just 1st gear). I have made a few calls to local transmission shops, one said that it was broken shells (?) in the transmission & they have found this to be a common problem with trucks with 65-85k miles on them (mine has 82k) that GM had purchased defective parts & installed them, and it would cost around $2,500 to go through the tranny. Another shop said that it doesn't sound like anything too major. Might be a just a simple problem?? There cost to pull it & go through it was only $1,300. Just wondering if any one else has had these problems & what they found to be the trouble??? Also what are the shells in the transmission?? Believe the tranny is a 4L60E (that sound correct). Any help appreciated!!
:ylsuper: CheckEngine

ridered
02-13-2005, 06:27 AM
sounds like the oil pump my trans would shift fine on slow start offs but if you took off hard it would red line befor it would shift.
cost me $2250.00 to have the trans re-built with new torque converter. honestly have a complete re-build do it once and do it right it will cost you less in the long run. (just my 2cents)
as far as the shell i have no idea?

GMMerlin
02-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Sounds like the reaction sun shell has broken.
Most shops will recommend a complete rebuild or replacing the transmission.
Personally I like to tear the trans down and inspect it..if I dont see any worn clutches or any foriegn material in the trans, I can recommend to the customer that replacing the failed part should fix the problem and no other repairs are needed...cost....500-700 dollars.

CheckEngine
02-13-2005, 03:13 PM
GMMerlin .... If it turns out to be the reaction sun shell, can this repair be done with the tranny installed?? Just looking into my options... If I need to remove the tranny I will be doing this myself to try & keep a little bit of jingle in my own pockets. Hey, if I can get away without pulling the tranny, hurray for me!!! Thanks for the replys & added information ... It is all appreciated.

GMMerlin
02-14-2005, 05:17 AM
GMMerlin .... If it turns out to be the reaction sun shell, can this repair be done with the tranny installed?? Just looking into my options... If I need to remove the tranny I will be doing this myself to try & keep a little bit of jingle in my own pockets. Hey, if I can get away without pulling the tranny, hurray for me!!! Thanks for the replys & added information ... It is all appreciated.

Nope, the trans is going to have to come out and be torn down.
The reaction sun shell is close to one of the last pieces in the case

AmericasFirst2003
02-23-2005, 05:18 PM
I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab Z71 (4x4). I lost my transmission on Monday, Feb. 21, 2005. My truck only has 45K miles, so I know how pissed off you are. I went to the dealership where I purshased it, and because my warranty was expired, it was going to cost me $3000.00 to replace the transmission. I told them to wait on doing anything until I called them back. After searching the internet, I have discovered that it is a GM problem. We are not alone. This seems to be a faulty product by GM. I called the GMC customer service and informed them of the problem, and the fact that there were more customers compnaining about the same problem. After being on hold for 5 minutes, a rep came back on line and informed me that she would call the dealership and have put a new transmission in my truck for free. Moral of the story, "Squeaky wheel gets the grease." Call them and complain. (866) 932-4368

CheckEngine
03-23-2005, 03:47 AM
I finally got some time to pull the tranny, wouldn't you know it had a tag on it "Reman for GM". I found a local guy that ran a tranny shop for years, he rebuilt it for $700 & threw in a new torque converter. I hope to get the tranny in this weekend. We'll see how this one lasts....

Add your comment to this topic!