Page updated on 06-20-2018

Crazy squeaking sound

bwynn
02-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Ok, I can't figure this one out.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 2W Auto. When I drive slow (Maybe there when fast, but can't hear it) there is this very persistent annoying squeaking noise coming from below or in front of me. It is not suspension, because if you pop the Trans in neutral It is gone. It will make this noise right up to when you stop. Sometimes I can faintly hear when I stop, so I have tried putting on the E-brake, blocked the wheels, and kept it in gear. Crawled under it, and under the hood. Can't hear it, and when I get back in the cab, it is pretty much gone. This noise is loud enough when moving. Interesting though, the noise does not pick up speed, or slow down with the truck speed. Driving me nuts! Please help. It does even when it is cold, but more when hot. Currently it is back with a vengeance.

lineguy
02-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Check the bushing of the shift linkage

thercvr
02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Check the bushing of the shift linkage

I had the same problem it drove me crazy listenging to this. It was the shift linkage, I put some grease on the linkage and around the bushing and it went away. Mine is a 2001 also.

james122
02-26-2005, 01:39 PM
I had a mysterious squeak on my truck but it was coming from the rear cab area. I finally tracked it down to the rubber pad on top of the fuel tank rubbing on the cab. WD 40 once a month sprayed on top of the tank at the back of the cab usually takes care of it. White Lithium works also and lasts a bit longer.

Add your comment to this topic!