Gas leaking out!!!

sykopenguin
02-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Ok so I'm at the gas station today filling my tank up with gas and BAM!! all the gas comes pouring outta the tank ... I'm like totally freaking out!!!
WHAT WENT WRONG!!!
AHHH
Serioulsy need help quick!!! :-p
So yeah any ideas???

BlazerLT
02-11-2005, 06:51 PM
The whole thing emptied?

Rick Norwood
02-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Ok so I'm at the gas station today filling my tank up with gas and BAM!! all the gas comes pouring outta the tank ... I'm like totally freaking out!!!
WHAT WENT WRONG!!!
AHHH
Serioulsy need help quick!!! :-p
So yeah any ideas???

Yea man, You gotta give us more info, How much gas? Where was it coming from, the filler neck, the bottom of the truck? :banghead:

The same thing happened to me this morning and it was the frigging gas pump nozzle not shutting off. Have you had any work done to the tank recently?

sykopenguin
02-12-2005, 01:52 PM
The gas leaked out from the tank under the truck on top of the tank where theres a circular opening. It leaked all the gas out except about 2 gallons...enough to get me home.

BlazerLT
02-12-2005, 01:54 PM
How can the whole tank leak out from the top?

sykopenguin
02-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Ok here's what I saw and I'm totally stumped....put about $30 worth of gas in the tank...the gas pump stops and I start hearing this sounding the fluid was hit the ground.... it was my gas... seriously it all just starting pouring out of the top of the tank....when it was done doing this...i look under the car and on top of the tank...there's this circular opening with wires and fuel lines i guess coming out of it...thats where all the gas came out of...

Rick Norwood
02-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Ok here's what I saw and I'm totally stumped....put about $30 worth of gas in the tank...the gas pump stops and I start hearing this sounding the fluid was hit the ground.... it was my gas... seriously it all just starting pouring out of the top of the tank....when it was done doing this...i look under the car and on top of the tank...there's this circular opening with wires and fuel lines i guess coming out of it...thats where all the gas came out of...

Gas tanks just don't moramlly bust open. Was everything o.k. prior to filling the tank? Were you 4 wheeling or have any repairs done to this area? It doesn't seem phsically possible to drain the entire tank from the top. I'd check the filler neck and look at the top of tank and also check for broken fuel lines etc.

sykopenguin
02-12-2005, 02:31 PM
No wasn't 4 wheeling....no never had work in this area... was just filling up my gas tank... it never did this before.... if the filler was broken how come all the gas didn't drain out until i was done pumping??

Fractured1
02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
a simple question, was the truck running at the time you were filling it.

BlazerLT
02-12-2005, 05:25 PM
No wasn't 4 wheeling....no never had work in this area... was just filling up my gas tank... it never did this before.... if the filler was broken how come all the gas didn't drain out until i was done pumping??

The whole tank cannot drain out through the top.

sykopenguin
02-12-2005, 05:36 PM
no the car wasn't running.....then do you guys have any ideas where all the gas drained out from....it was definitely something above the tank...cause the underside of it was dry

Rick Norwood
02-12-2005, 05:50 PM
I am sure you saw what appeared to be a lot of gas, but if you had really drained 15+ gallons, you'd have been literly in a lake of gasoline. Does the truck still run? Did you check to see if there was any broken lines or see any openings in the tank. Have you dropped the tank to inspect it?

BlazerLT
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
no the car wasn't running.....then do you guys have any ideas where all the gas drained out from....it was definitely something above the tank...cause the underside of it was dry

WOULD YOU STOP OVER EXAGGERATING THINGS!

First the whole tank emptied out, then now only out the top?

how much really came out? Did you over fill it?

sykopenguin
02-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Found the prob....there were 2 bolts missing outta my gas tank.... -_-....i wonder how that happened...

BlazerLT
02-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Found the prob....there were 2 bolts missing outta my gas tank.... -_-....i wonder how that happened...

Two bolts missing, where?

Stop being so general. It is getting really annoying.

sykopenguin
02-13-2005, 05:27 PM
The tank has 2 halves... top and bottom...2 bolts holding both sides together were missing causing the gas to come out of one side of the tank...sorry this thread is so confusing...just go ahead and delete it.

BlazerLT
02-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Ummm....

No, out tanks are not held together with bolts.

The two halves are welded together.

Fireplug
02-13-2005, 10:24 PM
The ONLY thing on your tank that has bolts in the plactic fuel tank shield.
I think this guy is yanking our chain and trying to see if he can get someone to give some bad info

BlazerLT
02-13-2005, 10:27 PM
The ONLY thing on your tank that has bolts in the plactic fuel tank shield.
I think this guy is yanking our chain and trying to see if he can get someone to give some bad info

Yip, and the general bland answer to specific questions is borderline pissing me off and wasting my time.

chembrad
02-14-2005, 08:27 AM
....no never had work in this area...

Then how were there two bolts missing?

I would like to know which ones you forgot to replace. It might help others out on this forum.

Also what service were you doing to drop the tank? Fuel pump?

Rick Norwood
02-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Then how were there two bolts missing?

I would like to know which ones you forgot to replace. It might help others out on this forum.

Also what service were you doing to drop the tank? Fuel pump?

Yea, I think there is something fishy going on here! No work done, but bolts are missing?

Dude, if you want help, give us straight truthful answers otherwise, please don't waste our time.

blazee
02-14-2005, 09:18 AM
This is the same guy that has another thread about his truck running rough and the strong smell of gas. Sounds to me like he has been sniffing the gas too long.

sykopenguin
02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Ok first of all im no choking anyones chain.....i bought the truck from a junk yard...all i can think of is they put some cheap ass tank on the truck...seriously...there are 2 halves...i'll take pictures for you guys

Fireplug
02-14-2005, 03:51 PM
please take pics with it in the truck not some tank laying around that you cut up.

sykopenguin
02-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I found a recall on my model truck and called the dealer to see if I was in the recall and guess what I am.

Make : CHEVROLET Model : S10 Year : 1994
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 94V014000 Recall Date : JAN 24, 1994
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 117200
Summary:
THE FUEL TANK FILLER PIPES WERE NOT MANUFACTURED TO SPECIFICATION WHICH CAUSED LOSS OF FUEL BETWEEN THE FUEL TANK FILLER PIPE AND THE VENT TUBE DURING A TEST. THE LOSS OF FUEL WAS IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT PERMITTED BY FMVSS NO. 301, "FUEL SYSTEM INTEGRITY."
Consequence:
CONSEQUENCE OF NON-COMPLIANCE: IF A VEHICLE CRASH WERE TO OCCUR, IT MAY CAUSE THE JOINT BETWEEN THE FUEL TANK FILLER PIPES AND THE VENT TUBE TO CRACK. IF THE VEHICLE OVERTURNED, FUEL LEAKAGE WOULD OCCUR, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A POST-CRASH FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL FILLER PIPE ON THESE VEHICLES.
Notes:
SYSTEM: FUEL; FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY; PIPE; FILLER; NECK. VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: LIGHT DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS. NOTE: IF YOUR VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT PROVIDED WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME AND FREE OF CHARGE OR THE REMEDY DOES NOT CORRECT THE DEFECT OR NONCOMPLIANCE, PLEASE CONTACT CHEVROLET SERVICE CENTER AT 1-800-222-1020 OR GMC SERVICE CENTER AT 1-313-456-4547. ALSO, CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

Going to get it fixed monday. :-D

blazee
02-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Well, I'll be damned....he's not crazy.

Add your comment to this topic!