Ram 2500 gas fuel filter

dardena53
02-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Hello, I need to pick some brains. I just bought a sweet '94 Ram 2500, 5.9l automatic MPFI gas, with 80k miles. While passing another vehicle yesterday, the engine sputtered, ran a bit than died. After a short (5 minute) rest, the engine would start, ran awhile, then sputter and die.

I was able to drive home a quarter mile at a time... took about an hour to go five miles!

Anyway, this is usually a good sign the fuel filter is blocked, but being new to Dodge, I figured to let the experienced guys give some guiding light. So, I know I have to replace the filter.

1. How often does the filter need to be replaced? I called the dodge shop and was told "there is no fuel filter in a Dodge Ram truck," so obviously I'm not dealing with them.

2. Should I replace the pump/sender as a precaution whist the tank is dropped and the pump exposed?

3. Do I need any special tools (such as fitting tools) to get the old filter/regulator assy out?

Thanks a lot... I await your wisdom and advice!
Terry

nealuss
02-11-2005, 08:11 PM
the dodge guys are right; i work at advance auto parts and have had to research this for someone. dodge trucks from 94 up do not have fuel filters. you have to replace the whole sending unit. why dodge did this, i dont know; but after so long it goes bad just like anything else. good luck

superman66
02-11-2005, 09:23 PM
there is a filter in the tank, but it is part of the pump and sending unit assembly. the filter is a sock design. dodge designed it so it would filter the gas when it was running, but when it is shut off all the gas comes back out of the pump and flushes out the filter of all the dirt. it as a repeat deal and the did this thinking the filter when never get clogged,but it won't flush out everything.

dardena53
02-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the information. I'm thinking there is some "gunk" or particles of "gunk" in the gas tank which are clogging the filter. Guess I'm just trying to get a good feel if other problems in the Dodge system (ignition, ECM etc) cause simular symptoms as a clogged filter.

there is a filter in the tank, but it is part of the pump and sending unit assembly. the filter is a sock design. dodge designed it so it would filter the gas when it was running, but when it is shut off all the gas comes back out of the pump and flushes out the filter of all the dirt. it as a repeat deal and the did this thinking the filter when never get clogged,but it won't flush out everything.

v8soldier
02-13-2005, 11:34 PM
I had a 95 short bed 1500 with a 5.9 auto too. I had the exact same problem. Went through some electrical parts and a couple other things before I figured out what it was. It was the fuel sending unit and yeah you are probably gonna have to replace the whole unit. As for the gunk in the tank I had that too. I pulled the whole tank out and wash out the inside with regular dish detergent and water, scrubbed it clean and rinsed it, then used some Iso-Heet and wiped it all over the inside of the tank to make sure it was as dry as possible before I put it back in. After I did all that she ran like new and I didn't have a single problem with it. I made sure I ran a bottle of water remover through it on the first tank once she was back together just to be on the safe side. It only took a couple hours to fix. Good luck man.

Add your comment to this topic!