Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clarify an air-brush painting phenomenom please

spidereddie
02-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I painted a little this weekend (first in a long time) and I was very disappointed. I was spraying and I realized that everything was coming out in a grany, sandy texture (even if I applied heavy wet coats). I thought it was dirt so I made sure to clean well for the next part, but same result. after some sobbing and searching I realized that it was probably the fact that I've diluted all my paints (model master and testors acryl) with rubbing alchohol. From what I've read this is the typical presnetation of trying to paint with acryls thinned with this stuff. Is this true and if not what can you guys suggest? I just got a brand new head/needle/nozzle set up for my badger. What should I do

SteveK2003
02-11-2005, 02:29 PM
You might be thinning the paint too much, and it's drying before it hits the surface.

I have the Testors modeler's guide on PDF, I can send you the airbrushing section when I get home if you want.

PS: I'm finding the Acryl doesn't need much thinning, if at all.

Scale-Master
02-11-2005, 03:24 PM
It's not the airbrush, it's the paint/thinner.
I use lacquer thinner to reduce my acylics for airbrushing, but never put any lacquer thinned paint or lacquer thinner back in the bottle, it'll turn it all to snot in a day or so... - Mark

SchuberT
02-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Lacquer thinner? I never would have though of that. I'll try that next time I spray acrylics. Thanks for the tip.

ZoomZoomMX-5
02-11-2005, 05:44 PM
It's not the airbrush, it's the paint/thinner.
I use lacquer thinner to reduce my acylics for airbrushing, but never put any lacquer thinned paint or lacquer thinner back in the bottle, it'll turn it all to snot in a day or so... - Mark

I know it works for Tamiya acrylics, does it also work w/Testors Acryl? Acryl doesn't like to be thinned w/it's own product...it's better unthinned, but if lacquer thinner works it would spray a bit easier.

SteveK2003
02-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Some guy on the Scale Auto forums asked a 'guru' one day and he said he uses distilled water to thin Acryl, about a 70:30 paint:thinner ratio, and he sprays in light coats, very close, within a couple inches. I tried some semigloss black without thinning on some drapery hooks for my mother, and it worked great.

proosen
02-12-2005, 02:09 AM
I never had any problems with acrylics and alcohol in any form, that is Tamiya's acrylics. But laquer thinner is good to, gives the paint a little more "bite". Don't try to thin anything but acrylics with alcohol though as it sure will make a mess of the paint. This kind of problem can occure with enamels if the thinner is to weak, I had problems with white spirit and Humbrol. The paint became all grainy and unusable, a little laquer thinner took care of that problem.

Good luck!
Niclas

Add your comment to this topic!