Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing paint from resin.

willimo
02-10-2005, 06:07 PM
How do you do it? CSC and brake fluid both turn it to mush, so I hear. What's the preferred method around here?

builder
02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
well sanding is a good pick

willimo
02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Well, let's presume it's on a cast resin LHD dash that I am pinching from an old model, and I want to preserve the already soft detailing?

scaleracecars
02-10-2005, 06:45 PM
well sanding is a good pick
Test your resin first but most resins hold up very well to lacquer thinner. I wash the lacqquer thinner over the model by dipping a cup into the thinner and pouring it over the model. Depending on what kind of paint you used it might just wash off that simple. For tough paints I keep a small acid brush handy to help with removel. It only takes about 5 minutes to strip one clean.
The only resin I know of that this will not work on is the Micro Mark kind that is white. So far all tan and gray resins are fine.
If that scares yo or will not work with the resin product you have try ELO (easy lift off) by pollyscale. I have it in stock but the lacquer thinner is faster and easier.

David
http://www.scaleracecars.com

ZoomZoomMX-5
02-10-2005, 09:04 PM
What kind of paint is it?

Easy Off oven cleaner is excellent at removing enamel paint, especially from resin. Some of the other chemicals, as you know, turn resin soft/mushy. Easy Off will not. If it's acrylic I'd use Windex or 91% rubbing alcohol.

Easy Off is an excellent resin cleaner as well. It will remove all the potential silicone contamination. I learned that the hard way, after having to strip a resin body of paint after I had already declared chemical warfare on it, and the damned mold release was still present after lacquer thinner, Naptha, Prep Sol, Westley's, soap and water, everything except a caustic solution which was the only solution... :banghead:

willimo
02-10-2005, 09:10 PM
It is enamel, actually. Hooray! Thanks for the advice, Zoom-zoom. Thanks also, David, but the resin happens to be white (the stuff SATCO used to put LHD into Aoshima kits) and I really don't want to chance it.

I heart AF.

scaleracecars
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
What kind of paint is it?

Easy Off oven cleaner is excellent at removing enamel paint, especially from resin. Some of the other chemicals, as you know, turn resin soft/mushy. Easy Off will not. If it's acrylic I'd use Windex or 91% rubbing alcohol.

Easy Off is an excellent resin cleaner as well. It will remove all the potential silicone contamination. I learned that the hard way, after having to strip a resin body of paint after I had already declared chemical warfare on it, and the damned mold release was still present after lacquer thinner, Naptha, Prep Sol, Westley's, soap and water, everything except a caustic solution which was the only solution... :banghead:

Give SEM Soap a try if you get the chance for resin prep. It removes everything and has a mild abrasive to help etch the surface of the resin. The abrasive is harsh enough to dull the resin but mild enough not to soften any details. The product comes in a squeeze bottle and works with water like any other soap.

David

http://www.scaleracecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=740

Add your comment to this topic!