Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Who likes the 2006 Impala???

97TaurusGuy
02-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I was wondering how many people are disappointed in the redesigned 2006 Impala??? Anbody else notice that it looks like the Lumina that it replaced?? It has taillights that strongly resemble a Taurus. What a waste of sheetmetal. The looks of the Impala is what soldthe car from 2000-current. Why would GM redesign it to look like its predecessor???

wpbharry
02-11-2005, 07:28 AM
I agree that the '06 styling could have made more of a statement, but the truth of the matter is that, in order to retain its top-ten sales, it needed a refresh.

I like it, in some ways more than the current car. Current car can look dorky from some views, especially the shape of the grille.

The interior is a leap ahead, from what I've heard, but you'd know it's an Imp. Lots of similarities with the current interior.

Fold & flip rear seat has me intrigued.

It'll tide the Imp over for another 2-3 years until the RWD design is ready.

lxndr
02-11-2005, 09:10 PM
You've gotta be kidding! This is the best that GM could come up with for what once was their flagship vehicle! It looks like a warmed over Lumina! This slightly used bar of soap bodystyle is dead, why are they bringing it back! When will GM design a car that embodies the essence of what an Impala once stood for and stop designing cars for retirees!

'97ventureowner
02-11-2005, 10:11 PM
When will GM design a car that embodies the essence of what an Impala once stood for and stop designing cars for retirees!
Hey I agree, but you have to look at the aging population. The average age of our population is now going up and GM is trying to keep them as customers, and Chevrolet themselves is probably trying to keep them from migrating to Buick. Even though Chevrolet is supposed to be younger, family oriented .

redimpss5
02-14-2005, 04:22 AM
BARF...I did not like the 1996 lumina, so what can I like about the new imp?

victimizati0n
02-14-2005, 05:32 AM
the tail ligjts dont look like a Taurus's.....

also the impala is a much better car than that new ford 500, that thing is a waste of a car.

97TaurusGuy
02-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Sorry, your right, the tail lights dont like they are from a Taurus, they look like the ones from the new Five Hundred, which by the way is a much better styled car than than new Impala.

lxndr
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
The average age of our population is now going up and GM is trying to keep them as customers,

Yes, but as the older population gets older, so does the younger population. I'm 29, I own my own business and I'm able to afford a new car. I love older Impalas and would consider buying a new one if it were a 2 door model with a sleek bodystyle, had a reliable V6 0r V8, and most importantly... 6 tail lights. But until that happens, I'll just keep restoring older Impalas.

Also take into consideration that this is probably the last car that a retiree will buy, and with all the problems with the previous models, why would any intelligent person buy ANY Impala? It needs to be completely redesigned and remarketed to a different genre. When GM reintroduced the Impala in the mid '90s after everyone squaked about it's demise, GM almost got it right with the SS. But somehow they missed the point that their consumers were trying to convey and went way off target. I guess they realized that the car they designed was primarily being bought by retirees and just went along with it, completely oblivious to their consumers that really wanted a true Impala.

I feel that if this is the best that GM can do, then it's better to just let the Impala name fade away. At this point an Impala is just like an old rocker that was once at the top of the charts in his younger years, but doesn't realize that now he just looks ridiculous in spandex shorts.

'97ventureowner
02-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Yes, but as the older population gets older, so does the younger population. I'm 29, I own my own business and I'm able to afford a new car. I love older Impalas and would consider buying a new one if it were a 2 door model with a sleek bodystyle, had a reliable V6 0r V8, and most importantly... 6 tail lights. But until that happens, I'll just keep restoring older Impalas.

I agree with that. I'm 38 and feel the same way. The design of some of these cars today makes me think," Who is their target market? Why don't they design something more sleeker and sportier like the '60s and '70s?" I'm thinking that people like us are in the minority when GM designs it's cars. For us who like the 2 door cars that are sporty, GM probably feels that the other vehicles they make, ( talking specifically Chevy for this post,) the Monte Carlo, Cavilier/Cobalt, and Malibu would be better suited to us. There are a bunch of us out there who desire the larger cars that bring back the hey day of the past. Plus as we grow older and have families we can keep these vehicles to transport our family in, instead of trading it in for something more roomier, and practical. Gm needs to get out there and survey people from all age groups and see what is desired in a vehicle. They need to maybe take a more liberal approach to designing their vehicles and replacements. If a certain model is not selling well find out why. The dealer would be a good place to start. Find the owners who got rid of the vehicle and find out why they did that. ( GM probably won't do this because they are afraid of what they might find out.LOL) If they are out there getting input from the buying public about what they want in a car, they sure aren't using the info properly. One of my newer "BIG BEEFS" about GM concerns the new HHR vehicle coming out this year, i think. I read where it was supposed to pay homage to the early Suburbans. The vehicle will only come equipped with a 4 CYLINDER ENGINE!!! What's up with that ??? I'd put at least a big V6 with an optional V8 engine in it. Sometimes I think GM gets so wrapped up into making profits, it forgets about what got them there in the first place...people like us on these forums.

3.4imp
02-15-2005, 02:51 PM
front looks like a new civic & the rear looks like a sebring. what a monstrosity

Add your comment to this topic!