Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 suburban brakes

teslatech
02-10-2005, 01:03 PM
The brakes on my 89 suburban 1500 4x4 have very little pedal, althought they stop okay. The pedal goes to about 1" from the floor and are somewhat spongy. They will pump up slightly, but not much. There is plenty of fluid and they have been bled, but to no avail. I hjave had a couple of garages look at lt and they can find no problem, but I know there used to be be plenty of firm pedal . Any ideas? There is some front end shudder when applying the brakes firmly. Also, what type fluid should I used when changing the transfer case?

2000CAYukon
02-11-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a 90 K1500 which has the same brakes as your suburban. After wearing out 2 sets of front pads with very little wear in the rear, I realized that the self adjuster do not do a good job of adjusting the rears.

Every tire rotation, I adjust the rears by hand. Brake pedal is good and firm and the front do not wear out real fast.

You can tell if the rears are out of adjustment by how far the emergency brake pedal goes down. If it is near the floor, the rear need adjustment.

Transfer case uses Dextron-III tranny fluid.

//2000CAYukon

Add your comment to this topic!