Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 Accord... please read

moss84
02-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Ok, I posted about my 87 Accord idle problem the other day, butI had just bought it and now that I have had it for a week or so I have studied the problem so I think I can give alittle better description. At cold start up, the ilde will start out at around 1200, then it will slowly climb to about 2500. After it runs for a couple of minutes, I can punch the gas and it will come down to about 1700, then after it warms to a certain temp,it will eventually settle at about 1400. There might me just a hair of varience in idle after it warms up completely,if you sit and watch the tach, but nothing that you can here or feel. Another thing that I have noticed is that it will continue to rev for a split second in between gears, and most of the time, it takes a second or two for the rpms to come back down. I'm pretty sure that it's carburated. I took the breather loose enough to look and it sure looks like a carb. I've been told that it sounds like a vaccuum leak, but the everything under the hood, including the hoses look to be in remarkably good shape( I know that doesn't neccesarily mean there's not a leak)I'm pretty sure that this is something very simple and I would love to be able to cure this on my own, but I just don't know where to start. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

BIAR
02-13-2005, 01:08 PM
If you look under the hood there is a tune up chart.It will tell you cold idle is 2500rpm plus or minus 500.Or look in the owners manual if you have one.It is probaly carb.Look on the trunk lid there will be an i if it is not carb.For example EXi or LXi.It sounds normal from what I see you saying so far.As long as it idles down after it is warmed up.

Add your comment to this topic!