Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ok all, here's a 4x4 q.

steveb_92rodeo
02-09-2005, 05:41 PM
I am technically a mechanic, albeit, it's been a few years since I've done it since I've gotten into technology...

I have a hoist, but I have to ask my ex's boyfriend to use it, so I'll ask here first...

4x4, '92 rodeo, 3.1, 5spd, SW hubs...

All locked and in 4x4. I was driving through city icy streets and the vechicle wanted to pull to the right side (that's *right*, as you are in the driver's seat of course), with both diffs being open type.

I know for fact I've got 3 - 31x10.5's, but just noticed I've got one 30x10.5 on the back. Will this pull it at the front in 4x4? Things work good in 2WD.

Just curious to opinion here...there are always good ones in this forum.

Note: I've just had both u-joints replaced on the front driveshaft, and had the rear driveshaft one-pieced (again, with the u-joints being new). *EDIT* not Both, but *ALL* front cv-joints are good, and the boots are like new, wheel bearings are mint (no movement), tie rod-ends are new, as well as upper and lower ball joints.

I'm anxiously awaiting an ARB rear locker for my GM 10-bolt rear end, but want to get this pull fixed, without referring to my exes boyfriend.

I want to go to Utah next year!!!

Steve

amigo-2k
02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
what size is your spare?

What's in UT?

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/135272moab5.jpg

steveb_92rodeo
02-10-2005, 07:36 AM
what size is your spare?

Argg...30x10.5

What's in UT?

Moab :)

rodeo02
02-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Steve, most definately that smaller diameter tire is causing your pull to the right. Swap that tire to the other side & I guarantee you will pull to the left :uhoh: !!. You really need to have the EXACT diameter tires on a 4x4 truck to keep it going staight ahead. Your condition is causing heavy driveline bind as well, you may not *feel* it, but it's there.
G/luck
Joel

steveb_92rodeo
02-10-2005, 07:56 AM
You really need to have the EXACT diameter tires on a 4x4 truck to keep it going staight ahead. Your condition is causing heavy driveline bind as well, you may not *feel* it, but it's there.
Joel

Thanks Joel, I just found out the other day that the tire was mis-matched, and understand the ramifications. Instead of swapping the tires, I'll just take your observation as correct and just replace the tires...something I wanted to do anyway.

For the time being, I'm parking the truck as much as possible, and driving the GF's Civic *sigh*

Tks guys.

Steve

I-HATE-CHEVY
02-10-2005, 10:39 AM
You can drive it ok, as long as you don't use the 4wd, for the time being untill you get matching tires.
I definately would not put that mismatched on the back.
I wonder how long it takes for the mismatched tires to cause damage to the 4wd?
Just curious

Thanks Joel, I just found out the other day that the tire was mis-matched, and understand the ramifications. Instead of swapping the tires, I'll just take your observation as correct and just replace the tires...something I wanted to do anyway.

For the time being, I'm parking the truck as much as possible, and driving the GF's Civic *sigh*

Tks guys.

Steve

steveb_92rodeo
02-10-2005, 10:44 AM
You can drive it ok, as long as you don't use the 4wd, for the time being untill you get matching tires.
I definately would not put that mismatched on the back.
I wonder how long it takes for the mismatched tires to cause damage to the 4wd?
Just curious

I don't know how long, but I would only assume that even just in 2WD, having 2 tires different sizes can't be that good for the rear diff either.

Either way, it's new tire time.

Tks,

Steve

Cat Fuzz
02-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Different diameter tires will for sure blow your rear end and quicker than you think.

I've seen it happen on other peoples cars.

Add your comment to this topic!