Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Computer

kallenbach_05
02-09-2005, 02:12 PM
is there anyway to reprogram the computer without buying a new one? any programmers for a '97 2.4L?

GTP Dad
02-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Computers can be reflashed by someone with the proper equipment. I don't know of anyone that makes a programmer for the Grand Am 2.4. I assume that you want to reprogram the computer for better performance. you can purchase a new chip with upgraded programing from various companies but I don't have any names. Good Luck.

kallenbach_05
02-09-2005, 07:08 PM
ok thanks for info

Markgase2000
02-10-2005, 02:05 AM
GTPDad I was wondering , when I made a custom exhaust for my GA it set of my o2 sensor and I had to buy a o2 simulator. I told them I have a 3400 v6 and they gave me a simulator for a 97-up sunfire/cavalier. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. It was the same one. I tried it and it worked great! So maybe pc upgrades for sunfires and cav's pc's for programmers on 2.4's? Or maybe if you know that wont work let me know cus that simulator made me curious.

GTP Dad
02-10-2005, 05:28 AM
Generally the Sunfire and Cavalier are the same mechanically. There are some cosmetic differences but that is about it. Once in a while Pontiac will tune a car differently than Chevrolet but for the most part what will work on a Cav will work on a Sunfire and visa versa. If there is a programmer for a 2.4 Cav. then it should work for the 2.4 Sunfire. I wouldn't think that would be true for a GA unless you were dealing with an Alero but who would want to tune a Pontiac like an Olds anyway!

Hoags
02-10-2005, 06:37 AM
For what it's worth I was talking with a relative of mine who happens to be a former British Road Race Champion who has connections at all of the big three in Detroit, we were talking this past summer about the up-grade performance chips and he was strongly advising me not to upgrade my GAGT because of the age and high milage [96 GAGT w/120,000] he said I may be setting myself up for a whole rash of problems and told me to be prepared to replace parts. He said that because my car has been running so long at the factory settings, trying to squeeze more power out of the engine it may put too much stress on the engine. Does any one else feel this way? I would hate to see someone put in a chip and then have the engine start breaking parts. Take from this what you want. I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Markgase2000
02-12-2005, 08:37 AM
is there anyway to reprogram the computer without buying a new one? any programmers for a '97 2.4L?
Im sorry but thats not gonna happen , your gonna need a AM chip. Diablo , Superchips , Delco check with these manufacturers you never know what they might have for a 2.4 twin cam.

Markgase2000
02-12-2005, 08:46 AM
For what it's worth I was talking with a relative of mine who happens to be a former British Road Race Champion who has connections at all of the big three in Detroit, we were talking this past summer about the up-grade performance chips and he was strongly advising me not to upgrade my GAGT because of the age and high milage [96 GAGT w/120,000] he said I may be setting myself up for a whole rash of problems and told me to be prepared to replace parts. He said that because my car has been running so long at the factory settings, trying to squeeze more power out of the engine it may put too much stress on the engine. Does any one else feel this way? I would hate to see someone put in a chip and then have the engine start breaking parts. Take from this what you want. I'm interested in everyone's opinion.
It all depends on whats going on with the engine and the shape its in.
Most people will upgrade higher mileage cars and when a PC code gets changed it should function fine unless your planning on a massively hardcore racing chip. Slight changes in air/fuel change depending on what o2 sensors and MAS are detecting the factory pc changes these settings on its own to keep an even mixture. The factory pc doesnt run exactly the same all the time anyways. Increasing the signal with a sport chip isnt that huge of a boost in hp so it shouldnt cause much trouble. Not the greatest explaination but I hope you see what I am trying to say. Its up too you , your car IMO shouldnt have too much trouble with a sport chip install other than using more gas. IMO

Hoags
02-12-2005, 10:55 AM
It all depends on whats going on with the engine and the shape its in.
Most people will upgrade higher mileage cars and when a PC code gets changed it should function fine unless your planning on a massively hardcore racing chip. Slight changes in air/fuel change depending on what o2 sensors and MAS are detecting the factory pc changes these settings on its own to keep an even mixture. The factory pc doesnt run exactly the same all the time anyways. Increasing the signal with a sport chip isnt that huge of a boost in hp so it shouldnt cause much trouble. Not the greatest explaination but I hope you see what I am trying to say. Its up too you , your car IMO shouldnt have too much trouble with a sport chip install other than using more gas. IMO

Thanks for your reply to my post, As I indicated I was talking with a road race driver. He may have assumed that I was talking about a racing chip. A sport chip make sense on a high milage car that isn't running the way it used to. My only suggestion if a chip is put in "Keep your eye on things" until your sure everything is "OK"
Thanks again Markgase2000.

Dan

Add your comment to this topic!