OBD Code Readers for Pre-1996 vehicles

JeepForever
02-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I have a '94 Jeep GC and I want to get an inexpensive code reader. The cheap ones (less than $50 or so) are only for 1996 and newer models. Are there inexpensive ones that will work on a '94 model? I found a $300 model with adapters for an older car, but so far my minor car repairs generally cost less than that (even using trial & error troubleshooting).

dksob81
02-09-2005, 03:11 PM
well I do not know of any cheaper code readers for the pre OBD II vehicles. but you could use the good ol key ON/OFF trick to extract the codes.

JeepForever
02-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Can you please explain the "Key ON/OFF trick"?

Dale Aeppli
02-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Can you please explain the "Key ON/OFF trick"?

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm Go to this site find your year follow directions Try to do this as fast as possible. If you mess up just start over. Key on & off 3 times, third time leave key on.
Dale jeepman600@sbcglobal.net :banghead:

dksob81
02-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Turn the key ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON - leave ON this time, the CHECK ENGINE light will come on then go off shortly. Then start to flash the codes, count the numbder of flashes, each code will be in double digit form with a short pause between digits and a long pause between codes.

example: | = 1 CHECK ENGINE light flash
| pause | | = 12,
pause pause pause pause pause
| | | | | pause | | | | | = 55,

Code 12 - Power to PCM was lost within the last 50 ignition cycles, Battery was disconnected.

Code 55 - End Of fault codes.

You could go to that site Dale just sent to get the meaning of each code or just post them here and we will tell you what they mean..

Add your comment to this topic!