Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weird Brake Noise--PLEASE HELP!!!!

Phishin
02-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Yesterday, while driving down the road, my truck starts to make a constant squeak from the rear axle.....but when I touch the brakes and apply any break pressure at all, the noise disappears. As soon as I let off the brake, the noise comes back.

I have 99 silverado ext. cab with 5.3L. 115,000 miles. Original rotors. The original factory brake pads were replaced at about 80,000 with high end ceramics (Ravin). Brake fluid level indicates I have plenty of pad left. Rotors aren't in the best shape (some grooves).
Thanks,
Steve

2000CAYukon
02-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Could be something caught between the pad and rotor (small pebble, etc).

or

It could be that the caliper pins are stuck causing the pad to pressed against the rotor. Caliper lube should be used on the pins when replaced the pads.

You need to pull the wheels and take a look.

//2000CAYukon

Jake795
02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I remeber hearing about this problem from my brother in law. I don't remember exactly what caused the noise but i do remember it being something with the emergency brake. If i get more info i'll update you.

Jake

Ape0r
02-09-2005, 04:06 PM
How often do you use your e-brake? The emergency brakes on these trucks are WAY underbuilt, and if you don't replace the shoes for the e-brake before it wears out, the whole damn internals will grenade and give you noise. Pull the wheel, and remove the rotor, the e-brake is the smallish drum inside the rear rotors. See what you can find.

kenny-1907
02-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Do the rear pads have the wear indicator on them , i don't remember from when i did my rear brakes. If so , then it could quite possibly be the wear indicator telling you it is almost time for some new pads.

mxg342
02-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Do the rear pads have the wear indicator on them , i don't remember from when i did my rear brakes. If so , then it could quite possibly be the wear indicator telling you it is almost time for some new pads.

Yes they do. I would buy pads and replace the rear brakes ($34.99 from Advance Auto). Take off the wheel and the two bolts holding the caliper on (1/2" Head) and you're there.

Phishin
02-10-2005, 09:16 AM

It's not the wear indicator. The noise is present when I DON'T use the brakes. But when I apply any brake pressure, the noise disappears.

I hardly ever use the emergency brake.

I'll try to find time to look at it tonight. Been busy. It's just really weird that the squeal goes away when I touch the brakes. Any more ideas??

Jake795
02-10-2005, 05:56 PM
chances are that since you seldom use the e brake, then something on it has frozen up or just otherwise went to shit. You are right about it not being the wear indicators. those squeal when you press the brake.

kenny-1907
02-10-2005, 07:41 PM
It's not the wear indicator. The noise is present when I DON'T use the brakes. But when I apply any brake pressure, the noise disappears.

I hardly ever use the emergency brake.

I'll try to find time to look at it tonight. Been busy. It's just really weird that the squeal goes away when I touch the brakes. Any more ideas??

That is EXACTALLY what the wear indicator does, at least that is how it has been on any vehicle i have ever driven. Slight squeal but when the brake pedal is touched it goes away. I would have a peek at the rear pads , quite possibly the wear indicator is what is causing your noise.

Add your comment to this topic!