Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Malibu - ABS warning light

tinovieitez
02-09-2005, 10:05 AM
The ABS warning light came on on my wife's 99 malibu a few months back. After taking it to a Chevrolet dealer for another problem, they informed me that the warning light meant that the car needed new front brake pads and rotors. Easy enough, I replaced the pads and rotor myself, however, the ABS warning light remains on. Is there something that I may have missed or is there anything that needs to be reset. Please advise.

98MalibuPaul
02-09-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a 98... my ABS warning light has been coming on for no apparent reason for a couple of years now. It will only come on when I first start driving (like out my driveway or a parking lot) and stay on until I restart the car. If it is not raining or snowy, I just ignore it - but the ABS won't work. If I feel that I need the ABS, I pull over, turn off the car, and start it again, then it is fine.

I never bothered to find out why it does this but I did read on this forum that others have the same problem. It's like the old Microsoft joke about rebooting your car... except I don't walk around it.

98MalibuPaul
02-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Oh, I also meant to say that it doesn't happen very often. Maybe a couple times per month. Not really a big deal to me.

gapboi210
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Scary that the dealer told you it was having to do with pads and rotors. Not at all. The ABS light is strictly for the ABS system. Not a brake wear light! Odds are the problems with bot of the cases above is a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor. Sometimes they just get dirty. Common problem on GM ABS. Not too expensive to repair. I would go back to that dealership and demand to speak to a manager. Even if your car did need a brake job, that would not cause an ABS light to come on. You didn't ask why the light was still on when you picked the car up?

tinovieitez
02-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi gapboi210

Thankyou for your response. Is the ABS wheel speed sensor difficult to replace and could I do it myself.

Thanks, Tino

gapboi210
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I have never done one on a Malibu. Usually it is on the caliper it small clips in and plugs in. I will check on ALLDATA at the shop on Saturday and let you know more details. In the mean time, you might try taking the two front wheels off. They are the most common usually for a sensor to go bad. Try spraying the entire brake caliper with and rotor with brake cleaner. I suggest you do this with something underneath or in the grass if you don't care about killing a small patch. The sensor is a magnet and it may be caked with brake dust and road grime.

Dawnna
02-11-2005, 06:44 AM
"Odds are the problems with bot of the cases above is a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor. Sometimes they just get dirty. Common problem on GM ABS. Not too expensive to repair. "

Hi!

I, too, was led to believe that one needed to replace the entire hub in order to replace the abs speed sensor on the passenger side. I did read that the contacts can become dirty and not let the proper voltage pass, thus a faulty reading. However, my mechanic told us (it is only me and my daughter) that the abs light and the pad/rotor wear would finally be fixed by replacing the ENTIRE bearing/hub assemblies on both sides because the abs speed sensor would not work properly if replaced by itself due to the tined ring contained within the assembly. I know the sensor is sold seperately for about $14, while the hub would cost $180 (sensor included) from CarQuest and GM's price for the part is $270 (sensor included), but before we opt to have this work done (about $700 if we use replacement parts), can you tell me, IS THIS TRUE?

We have already had the speed sensor connection repaired twice and the mechanic pulled and replaced the original abs pump to the tune of a nice sum, but the abs light still goes on and the pads still wear excessively. Could you tell me, is it customary to pull the pump? I had questioned him about this and was very upset he replaced an original with a junked part and his reasoning behind this was, "the valves were bad," but I never did get to see the "bad valved" pump - yes, suspicious. Is this unit the type which would allow one to see the valves and their condition or is it an enclosed unit? In the alternative, is it possible to clean the valves on this part before opting for replacement? I most certainly know that if I was as a mechanic I would be sure to check the master cylinder, all the lines, sensor read outs, etc. before replacing any hydraulic unit such as this.

Since we are at such a loss both with the car's SAFETY performance and the amount of money it has cost us to keep this afloat, any information you can offer will help us out tremendously. We cannot afford another car, so we have no other alternative than to keep this piece of GM CRAP on the road. That is, if and until we win the lottery or a kind offering of a car is available!

Thanks!

gapboi210
02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, gotta love GM! Sounds like your mechanic is right. I have not checked the ALLDATA repair system, but according to my local Chevrolet dealership here you have to purchase the entire hub assembly. As far as the pump goes, not too common of an item to replace. I drive very aggresive and my ABS kicks in quite frequently. No problems with the pump and I use it quite a bit. I would have asked for him to show you the old part and the "bad valves" and the new pump. Tell him to show you the differences in them. Now that you know that the entire hub does need to be replaced IF it is the ABS sensor, you have to know which one is the bad one. Could be any of the four wheels. Now shop around for a price. Tell them I have a Malibu with a bad ABS sensor and I need the hub replaced how much for labor? What if I buy the part and bring it to you? etc. Show that you have some knowledge of the problem, you are less likely to get screwed. Also ABS really should not have anything to do with excessive break wear. If you can live without ABS and that orange light you don't have to get it fixed. It is a great safety option though. Hope this helps.

Dawnna
02-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah, dude, that helped out tremendously - THANKS! And, yeah, ya gotta love GM for the beautifully designed abs speed sensor!

I certainly don't mean to pick apart my mechanic, but at the rate this piece of crap eats money, I gotta satisfy its appetite sparingly, less it gets mine! I can live without the abs system easily, I know when the light is on to pump the brakes, but my daughter is so use to the abs style of braking, that it might be dangerous not to replace the hub. Safety is key, but geez with so many GM owners posting, not only on this board, but others, about the exact abs light and excessive pad and rotor wear, something seems to be amiss - at least in my way of thinking.

The "hum and grind" is coming from the driver's side and is very faint (for now). Every time the car hits a bump with the right wheel, on comes the abs light, so I believe I would have to replace the passenger hub assembly. Too bad it won't stop the pad/rotor wear because this car is going on its 4th set in 13 months!

johnholl
02-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah, dude, that helped out tremendously - THANKS! And, yeah, ya gotta love GM for the beautifully designed abs speed sensor!

I certainly don't mean to pick apart my mechanic, but at the rate this piece of crap eats money, I gotta satisfy its appetite sparingly, less it gets mine! I can live without the abs system easily, I know when the light is on to pump the brakes, but my daughter is so use to the abs style of braking, that it might be dangerous not to replace the hub. Safety is key, but geez with so many GM owners posting, not only on this board, but others, about the exact abs light and excessive pad and rotor wear, something seems to be amiss - at least in my way of thinking.

The "hum and grind" is coming from the driver's side and is very faint (for now). Every time the car hits a bump with the right wheel, on comes the abs light, so I believe I would have to replace the passenger hub assembly. Too bad it won't stop the pad/rotor wear because this car is going on its 4th set in 13 months!

I think you have a bad wheel berring [humming], or a bad tire.

4th set in 13 months? Are you sure your mechanic is doing the job correctly? You may have a binding caliper, or your slide-rails need lubrication. Does it pull to the left or right when braking? No way should you go through as set of pads every 3-months

Dawnna
02-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi John, thanks for the info. I just replaced all four tires, so not them. I know its gotta be the speed sensor in the hub assembly that needs replacement. Only thing is the price I have to deal with now to get it fixed. There have been so many problems with this car, especially with the braking system! I did know enough to ask my mechanic if he replaced the brake pads with ceramic ones and he said, "yes", but so many sets and so much room for wonder! Should have been a mechanic and I knew it when they sent me to nursing school!

malibu'd
02-15-2005, 07:12 PM
this sounds odd, but my abs light came on after using the car to jumpstart a boat....stayed on for months ...i replaced the alternator last week and the abs light went away...i'm thinking when we jumpstarted the boat it damaged the alternator making the voltage go low, so it triggered the abs light....

gapboi210
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
I am not sure on the malibu but from driving a Mitsibishi and a Nissan and having the alternators go out while driving, the first thing to act up was the ABS and then the SRS. Must be the same for you. Also, arent boats different voltage?

LEYLAND
02-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I had the problem on my ABS light too. I have already changed the speed sensor once, but you can only get the speed sensor with the whole hug including the bearing. That's pretty expensive. But after a year passes the warranty the ABS light came back on, and is the same sensor again. Since is after the warranty I just left it, and to this day the ABS light come on sometimes, not all the time. That Sucks.

molhannah
02-16-2005, 08:57 PM
On the ABS light staying on, run the codes first. It does make it easier to find whats wrong. I had my ABS light coming on at 15 mph and then going off when slowed back down below 15 mph. It was the brake switch on the pedal @ $13.02 from the auto parts store. The switch controls the brake light, the cruise control, and the ABS light. Hope this helps.

Principefrances
02-18-2005, 11:30 AM
I myself have had the ABS Light come on. I let it go for a while, then I eventually developed a humming sound. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced my pads and my badly worn down rotors. My ABS light still remained on. Braking improved but I still had the humming sound which eventually turned into a grinding, metal on metal sound. It turned out I needed a right hub assembly, which you know also includes the ABS sensor. Here is a link to other common Malibu problems. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_chev_malibu.html

Dawnna
02-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Do you know that code, by any chance? Thanks!

Check this site out, found it quite by accident!

http://www.carsurvey.org/

GM, it would behoove you to take a gander, as well. Maybe you will understand why all AMERICANS are bad mouthing your company and most other American made car manufacturers. You just might see that your abs system design costs us more trouble and money than your cars are worth!

salmanman
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
"Odds are the problems with bot of the cases above is a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor. Sometimes they just get dirty. Common problem on GM ABS. Not too expensive to repair. "

Hi!

I, too, was led to believe that one needed to replace the entire hub in order to replace the abs speed sensor on the passenger side. I did read that the contacts can become dirty and not let the proper voltage pass, thus a faulty reading. However, my mechanic told us (it is only me and my daughter) that the abs light and the pad/rotor wear would finally be fixed by replacing the ENTIRE bearing/hub assemblies on both sides because the abs speed sensor would not work properly if replaced by itself due to the tined ring contained within the assembly. I know the sensor is sold seperately for about $14, while the hub would cost $180 (sensor included) from CarQuest and GM's price for the part is $270 (sensor included), but before we opt to have this work done (about $700 if we use replacement parts), can you tell me, IS THIS TRUE?

We have already had the speed sensor connection repaired twice and the mechanic pulled and replaced the original abs pump to the tune of a nice sum, but the abs light still goes on and the pads still wear excessively. Could you tell me, is it customary to pull the pump? I had questioned him about this and was very upset he replaced an original with a junked part and his reasoning behind this was, "the valves were bad," but I never did get to see the "bad valved" pump - yes, suspicious. Is this unit the type which would allow one to see the valves and their condition or is it an enclosed unit? In the alternative, is it possible to clean the valves on this part before opting for replacement? I most certainly know that if I was as a mechanic I would be sure to check the master cylinder, all the lines, sensor read outs, etc. before replacing any hydraulic unit such as this.

Since we are at such a loss both with the car's SAFETY performance and the amount of money it has cost us to keep this afloat, any information you can offer will help us out tremendously. We cannot afford another car, so we have no other alternative than to keep this piece of GM CRAP on the road. That is, if and until we win the lottery or a kind offering of a car is available!

Thanks!

Can Someone please tell me where I can just buy the sensor without the having to buy the whole wheel hub assembly???? This post mentioned $14 but didn't say where

here2plz2002
10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I have a 2001 Malibu that I bought at 15,000 miles, now has almost 70,000. I have had numerous problems including replacing brakes and rotors way too frequently but my main complaint is that I just had the FIFTH hub and wheel bearing assembly replaced between the two front wheels. Started with the ABS light warning me, but this last time when they replaced both of them, the light never came on at all. I had all these terrible noises coming from the front end, clunking, squealing, metallic rattling. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/#Screwy Warranty runs out at 75,000 and I am definitely ditching this piece of junk.http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/#
Banghead

gapboi210
10-19-2005, 11:23 PM
sounds like the hub isn't being installed correctly or it is being replaced with a very cheap aftermarket one. 5 seems to be very excessive. You have done any mods to the suspension like lowering it or changing wheels or tires?

here2plz2002
10-20-2005, 10:10 AM
No mods done. I don't think the hub assemblies they are using are cheap either, the total cost of the last service which included the brakes and rotors and something to do with a suspension mount was approx. $1,750.

TheBU
10-20-2005, 06:41 PM
i hate my life....head gaskets, intake manifold, water pump, altnertor, Starter....now ABS light...when does it end? i havnt even owned the car for a year :(

saddest thing is i bought it off a family member...

gapboi210
10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Just because the shopis charging an arm and a leg for the part doesn't mean that ther aren't getting the cheapest, if not used part they can get their hands on.

Add your comment to this topic!