Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mechanics ... a 99 Malibu ABS Hydraulic Pump Question

Dawnna
02-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey all! We have a 99 Malibu with brake problems and I was wondering if it is the usual practice of a mechanic to "remove and replace" the abs pump without further testing for malfunctions such as a bad master cylinder, a faulty brake pump or a defunct sensor within the bearing/hub assembly? As well, what is the likelihood of the valves going "bad" within that pump and would that warrant replacing the pump or is there a way to clean those valves out? Any info you can give us will help, as the car still has the same problem with the brakes - going on its 4th set in 13 months! Now our mechanic tells us the front assemblies need to be replaced since he already replaced the abs pump ... EXPENSIVE AND MORE EXPENSIVE! Please tell us, in your most honest and professional opinion, have we been had by this guy? Thanks!

GMMerlin
02-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Hey all! We have a 99 Malibu with brake problems and I was wondering if it is the usual practice of a mechanic to "remove and replace" the abs pump without further testing for malfunctions such as a bad master cylinder, a faulty brake pump or a defunct sensor within the bearing/hub assembly? As well, what is the likelihood of the valves going "bad" within that pump and would that warrant replacing the pump or is there a way to clean those valves out? Any info you can give us will help, as the car still has the same problem with the brakes - going on its 4th set in 13 months! Now our mechanic tells us the front assemblies need to be replaced since he already replaced the abs pump ... EXPENSIVE AND MORE EXPENSIVE! Please tell us, in your most honest and professional opinion, have we been had by this guy? Thanks!

OK you have been had by this guy.

Abs componants are replace only parts.

First thing I would do is drill you for more info..what is the car doing, what are you feeling.
Next I would road test the vehicle to verify your concerns then I would inspect the brake system for any obvious defects.

Dawnna
02-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks, GMMerlin, I appreciate YOUR honesty.

Add your comment to this topic!