Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Labor for waterpump change $255 too high?

dave6405
02-08-2005, 07:55 PM
My daughter took her 91 Explorer 2WD 4.0 to an independant repair shop for a severe coolant leak. they replaced the water pump, and timing cover gasket $100.00 for parts (fine) But $255.00 for labor ???
Is That what the labor is on a Job like that? Is the timing cover part of the sealing surface? BY THE WAY she picked the Explorer this afternoon, drove 5 miles and blew coolant all over the parking lot. I will be at the repair shop when they open. I will check for any replies before I go.

XLT03
02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
In California, the labor rate is $90.00 per hour. Figure a water pump job is about 2.5 hours and another 1.0 hrs. for the timing cover gskt labor. If they charged you only $100.00 for parts, that's pretty good. Figure the parts should have been more; water pump, timing cover gskt, coolant.

As to the coolant flowing over, check that the radiator cap is there, they may have forgotten to put in back on or it wasn't on properly. Let us know what happened. Good Luck.

dave6405
02-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Update; the present leak is the intake manifold. They think the head is bad because the temp goes up and down while running. She must have gotten it too hot! Thanks for the help. Dave

Nickster17m
02-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Did they also check the serpentine belt tensioner and the idler pulley?
What about the fan clutch? Was that replaced?

Either one of those items could cause the up and down of the temp needle as the truck runs.

1. Check serpentine belt tensioner pulley
2. Check idler pulley
3. Check when the fan clutch was replaced.
4. Check plastic fan itself to make sure it is not cracked/broken/missing blades.
5. With a digital multi-meter, check the water temp sensors

I would put an infrared pyrometer on the engine water coolant hoses when it is idling and just after it has been run on the freeway to accurately establish the engine temps.

In California, the labor rate is $90.00 per hour. Figure a water pump job is about 2.5 hours and another 1.0 hrs. for the timing cover gskt labor. If they charged you only $100.00 for parts, that's pretty good. Figure the parts should have been more; water pump, timing cover gskt, coolant.

As to the coolant flowing over, check that the radiator cap is there, they may have forgotten to put in back on or it wasn't on properly. Let us know what happened. Good Luck.

Add your comment to this topic!