Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 dodge 2500 4x4

pauper_72
02-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Very strong coolant smell when started. Any thoughts? Are these known for bad head gaskets? 130000 miles on the V-8 gas motor...

fredjacksonsan
02-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Smell inside? I'd think it's the heater core.

pauper_72
02-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Both inside and outside the vehicle. Would that also cause the truck to not warm up? I tried a new 195 thermostat and it didnt help. Truck itself heats up, but nothing but cool from the blower.

Is there a way to test the core? It is $100 new from autozone.

Should also say it is an 8 Cylinders 360 Z 5.9L MFI motor.

fredjacksonsan
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Is the coolant low, or is there a leak you can see on the outside? Does it just do it at startup or always?

On the 5.9 there is a plenum gasket that goes bad, but that usually also causes performance problems. (Check this forum for the posts)

You can test the core to see if it's flowing by taking off the heater hoses, and putting your normal garden hose up to the inlet; you should get a decent flow coming back out to you.

pauper_72
02-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi. No on low coolant. Have not had to refill it at all. I found that odd, but what do I know! lol The only time I smell it is on startup.

To test, truck running? Flow of coolant (so pail required?)

Sorry to sound stupid. I am a newbie at this stuff and want to learn!

Thanks!
Cynthia

fredjacksonsan
02-08-2005, 11:49 AM
No sweat Cynthia. Nope, won't need the truck on to check the flow in the heater core.

The coolant hoses run from the water pump (front of engine) back along the passenger side of the engine and to the firewall. They're two black hoses, probably 3/4" to 1" thick. They hook onto the firewall. You can disconnect them there (hold/tie them up so the coolant doesn't flow out). The inlet & outlet for the heater core will be where you disconnected the hoses from.

You'll probably have to just hold the garden hose up to the in/outlet to check the flow.

Reassembly is reverse of above. You might have to add some coolant as some will leak out.

With the smell though, that's odd. Have you checked the rug in the passenger side footwell to see if it's damp?

pauper_72
02-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Ah, sweet visuals...lol

I was trying to figure out what you meant by the flow. Now, I understand. In the inlet, out the outlet! Duh!!

No dampness on the carpet. It is almost just a faint odor, but definately coolant. I know that smell anywhere! And it only lasts about 2 sec's. But it is EVERY time it is started, not just when hot or cold. Its almost like the scent is trapped in the blower motor when it is shut off and just released when started. But, it smells the same whether blower motor is on or not...

fredjacksonsan
02-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Hmmmm...you might have a little stuff leaking into the vents inside, and it just pools there until you start it up. Pretty weird; might be a good idea to get on the floor on the passenger side and take a look up under the dash, see if anything is there to be seen.

Thomas359
02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I had the same problem with the smell, but I would hear a steady clicking at the front of the Engine. Later found that it was a cracked coolant pump. But I too didn't loose as much coolant.

Add your comment to this topic!