Which domestic has the most tuning potential?

Pages : 1 [2]

novadk
09-14-2003, 02:14 PM
tear up?! bull shit, the car's fucking gay-and the SS is not definate, and knowing chevy it prolly won't happen (i.e. cavi turbo 220) I not sure about that, chevy knows that they need to get something out to compete with srt-4, evo8(if can even relate) and the prezza since its now a huge market for kids. I think anything looks better than the 2003 cavs=damn fugly :eek:

truema666ot
09-14-2003, 02:58 PM
chevy is coming out with a car to keep up with the evo and all the other ones there comin out with a ss line of cars they got an ss impala ss silverado ss concept go on there site and look at em

clubcav_com
09-16-2003, 12:55 AM
i still say out of all of them, the cavalier still looks the best in the end

as for tuning, it depends on the tuner...like always, you can make a geo fast if you have the skillz

www.clubcav.com
The Cavalier Stop...forums and FREE photo albums
www.clubcav.com

krebs128
09-17-2003, 11:36 PM
chevy is coming out with a car to keep up with the evo and all the other ones there comin out with a ss line of cars they got an ss impala ss silverado ss concept go on there site and look at em

oh don't get me started on the impala ss-doesn't deserve that name, good car, but not that good. and basically it's a family sedan w/ a grand prix gtp engine, better than LS but not too much better. and silverado ss, yea sounds like a sweet truck and all but not the street racer theme they want to keep up w/ the srt4.

clubcav_com
09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
CAVALIER OF COUrse

havent u guys picked up the last issue of sport compact for november?? check out the yellow turbo cav...question answered

www.clubcav.com
Forums and Photo gallery
www.clubcav.com

krebs128
10-01-2003, 08:48 PM
yea, i read that article today, and the out-put on that turbo cavalier seems really low to what i thought it would be. 182 hp and 176 lb/ft torque. i've seen other ppl's turbo setups in cavalier pushing it up to 200hp. but that's pretty good for a stock cavi.

el_oscuro
11-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Is there anybody in here old enough to remember the Dodge Omni GLH?
Starting in 1985, Dodge put the Turbo 1 on the optional 2.2L "HP" inline-4. Used with Chrysler's new fuel injection system, this engine generated 150 hp, and could propel the boxy K-car to 60mph in less than 8 seconds. Cost: less than $7000.
Now, nearly 20 years later, here comes the SRT-4. If this Neon is anything like the old GLH, then it will smoke everything in it's path.
Cost: less than $20k. And who the fzzk cares if the back windows aren't power?...putting 'em down just makes you slower. I wouldn't even get the power windows.
If you whiny lil punks want a good domestic to tune, try reading up on any of the Dodge intercooled Turbo 2s or the VNT, or my personal favorite, the '88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5spd. Guaranteed to cost less to tune, and smoke any Cavaliers or crappy Sunfarts, regardless
of it's method of aspiration.
Past turbocharged cars I've owned:
2 Chrysler/Dodge Turbo 1
an '83 280zx turbo 5spd
an '85 Cougar XR-7 turbo auto

dumbpeople
11-09-2003, 07:37 PM
What the hell is this? No RWD models? About the only two I could think of would be the Cav and the Neon. The only reason I say that is a V-6 motor could be dropped in. There's no replacement for displacement. Then again, I may be going out on a limb with the Neon. It's rumored that the Mopar R&D group dropped a 3.5 liter V-6 out of a Intrepid into a Neon back in 96. I don't know how true that is, but could you imagine a Neon with that big a motor? I wonder how fast that thing would go? It would be nice if it was true. Oh well. Get a grip displacement doesn#t make a car fast. It comprised of lot more that. go ahead and Drop a v-6 or a small block in a small domestic or an import and you will get nothing but a gas guzzling noisy heavy piece of junk. Transmissions and gear ratios are what make a fast car. you could have all the horsepower you want but if it not set up right it just be hunk of horsepower or all show and know go.

04_CaV!!
11-20-2003, 07:43 AM
only problem with the new neon's is that the transmissions give customers some problems. and the old neon's was the head gaskets blowing. in any case. your better off with a cavalier. better car. and don't even get me started on the crappy ford focuses. THEY top the list in TOTAL recalls. If any one buys one they should be given a direct line to a repair shop because it will be there more than it will be on the road

1320B4U
11-22-2003, 07:22 AM
Why argue about the tuning potential of a pile of crap. Why don"t you decide what you want (FWD-RWD-AWD, how much $$ to spend), then look at the logical choices and decide. RWD and less than $5k: an 89-94 240sx with an SR20DET. A low 14/high13 sec. car with reliability- any Honda with a B/H series. Insane speed for less than $5k- an F4 CBR or YZF-R6.

loco_k0pykatz
11-22-2003, 09:53 PM
CAVALIERz WATTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Necrofiend
11-25-2003, 11:19 PM
FOR ANYONE WHO THINKS CAVALIERS OR ANY OTHER LITTLE 4 CYLINDER GM VEHICLES ARE SHIT, THIS IS AN ARTICLE FROM J-BODY.COM A SITE OF NEWS AND REVIEWS SPECIFICLLY ABOUT GM VEHICLES

FWD CHEVROLET CAVALIER ó A WHOLE LOTTA PERFORMANCE FROM THE ECOTEC 2.0L ENGINE

ďOne thousand horsepower from a 2.0-liter engine.Ē No, thatís not a typo. Thatís the output of this special Ecotec engine. Yes, thatís the same engine that powers the Chevrolet Cavalier, and next yearís Chevy Cobalt. No, you canít order this exact vehicle from your dealer; however, you can order the components to build your very own 1000-plus horsepower Ecotec engine through GM Performance Parts.

This special Cavalier, on display at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show, competes in the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Pro Front Wheel Drive class. In race trim, this four-cylinder engine is equipped with a turbocharger and intercooler to achieve 1000-plus horsepower and 650 lbs.-ft. of torque. Power is transferred to the 28x10.5-inch front tires via a six-speed, sequential, manual transmission.

The Cavalier runs on methanol fuel and features a full-tube frame chassis, Penske triple-adjustable front and rear shocks and an independent rear suspension.

It also features carbon-fiber race brakes, a safety roll cage, six-point safety harness, a head and neck support (HANS) system, a fire-suppression system and an independent witness crash recorder to record safety data in the event of an impact.

The Chevrolet Cavalierís NHRA-approved full carbon-fiber body measures 47.5-inches tall, 68.7-inches wide, and is 202-inches long. Itís finished in Tangelo Orange and Cinnamon Brown exterior paint with white pearl flames.

The Cavalier Sport Compact program in 2003 won the Pro FWD class championship by capturing seven victories in the 10-race Summit Sport Compact series. The Cavalier currently holds the national speed record in Pro FWD at 186.48 mph.

With this record of success, Cavalier is now regarded as a driving force in Sport Compact competition. And all of this proven Ecotec engine performance and durability will be part of next yearís Cobalt performance story, so stay tuned.

CHEVROLET CAVALIER FWD DRAG RACER HIGHLIGHTS:

Ecotec 2.0L I-4
1000-plus horsepower
650 lb.-ft. torque
Six-speed sequential manual transmission
Methanol fuel
Full tube frame chassis
Penske triple adjustable front and rear shocks
Independent rear suspension
2003 NHRA-approved full carbon fiber body
Carbon-fiber race brakes
Safety roll cage and six-point harness belts and HANS device
Fire-suppression system and independent witness crash recorder
28x10.5-inch front drag race tires
25x4.5-inch rear drag tires
Tangelo Orange and Cinnamon Brown with white pearl flames

Necrofiend
11-25-2003, 11:28 PM
oh yeah and also here is a few pics of anyone that wants to see the 2.2 ecotec acctually tuned up and plaqued at the 2002 SEMA show and a few of the car itself, for the non believers.....

http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2002/Tuesday/P1010052.JPG
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2002/Tuesday/P1010050.JPG
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2002/Tuesday/P1010051.JPG
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2002/Tuesday/P1010053.JPG

sonicboomer03
12-04-2003, 12:26 AM
well here's something to try to bite off and chew....brace yourself:

the turbocharged mitsubishi 2.4L srt-4 neon tops out at 248 hp at the wheels, and around 240 lb/ft of torque. It will drop a 1/4 mile in the low 15s, and has a 0-60 in 5.6 sec....good considering it weighs almost 3000 lbs. Top speed is 153 according to car and driver tho the guage cluster only goes to 150. All of this, not too bad from an engine that was made in mexico, and designed and engineered by mexicans, probably because it was later made better by American muscle, and German engineering/technology. <not a racial slur against mexicans by anymeans....just think for a second tho.....the only country left that has an interest in building voltswagon beetles, is engineering american engines, hmmmm.....> I would still definately pay the $20,000 that these cars cost!

The Ecotec turbocharged engine of the 220 turbo sport cavalier produces 220 hp and it is mated to a five-speed manual transmission. Still fast, but youd be better off with the cavalier 263 ss...16 valve 2.2L 262 hp ecotec, roots supercharger, and liquid-to-air intercooler. The supposed ETA for the 1/4 mile is low-mid 15s, torque is around 210 lb/ft of torque. Pretty good upgrade from the old 2.2, 2.3, and DOHC 2.4L in the 90's.

Under the rest of the competition, is the supercharged 2.4L Sunfire H.O. Weighing in at 200hp, and 195 lb/ft of torqe Id stop considering even looing at it. Especially when compared to the Sunfire S/T model: 2.2L Ecotec L4 that puts out 220 hp, and 197 lb ft torque....can anyones say....CAVALIER!

Well to start off with the Focus SVT, its made by ford....caugh, caugh! SVT means SPECIAL VEHICLE TEAM..............yeah............creative huh..........well it is ford; i wanna meet the "special people" working on this P.O.S. I would like to see horsepower upward of 170, and torque meet the same, the price drop below $20,000, and get some better gas mileage...then i might buy it for my grandma. WTF is so great about this car for it to even be on that list?

Im not even going to touch the Cougar....who made this list? You should have just put a cavalier z24 on there instead of this heap of trash....ive actually put this combo together....the z24 wins!

The saturn SC2......come on guys! Sure the turbo will add some oompf....but youre not serious are you!?

My vote 100% is the neon....its been known to keep up with an EVO or two, which is more than any of these other cars...the cavalier would get my 2nd vote.

whiteybrw
02-05-2004, 11:15 PM
You all need to get real. The only way to go is 4G63 no matter what you put it in. Except nothing but the best. case in point:

http://www.buschurracing.com/
http://www.slowboyracing.com/

Team H.A.T.E.

urweak
02-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Chevrolet Cavalier 220 Turbo Sport????
Pontiac Sunfire H.O. 2.4L?????
Saturn SC2 Turbo?????
Mercury Cougar Zn????

Do these car even exsist. I have never heard of them. But by far the srt4 has the most potential. A lightly modded srt can run mid to high 13's

Ace$nyper
02-05-2004, 11:44 PM
mustang 5.0

Lamborsari_Merbini
02-05-2004, 11:49 PM
i think that the SRT-4 is the best choice here and i think that the cavalier would be my second choice. I dont know too much about these high end concepts though.

angel_iz378
02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
i vote for the cavy only b/c while i see alot of modded out neons, the performance on them is relatively average in stock. the sunfire is Pontiac's competitive rendition of the cavalier(just look at the late 80s-mid 90s models of both-notice how pontiac did away with the sunbird and created the sunfire the same year chevy changed the cavy body), the others just don't see that much of by way of mods

C_Sephiroth
02-08-2004, 10:54 PM
I'll Stick with my 93 G/A H.O. That is unless I can come across a SRT-4 or the new GTO

BlueBomber
02-12-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm a loyal (maybe crazy :screwy: ) Cavalier fan b/c my first car was a Cav and I love the darn thing.

C_Sephiroth
02-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Yeah, my first car a a 91 2.2 5 spd Cavalier. I still have that damn car. Has hella amounts of miles on it 270,000+. I don't have any complaints.

alon
02-13-2004, 10:44 AM
i'd take a Civic over a Cavalier anyday, damn cavaliers are falling apart !

95_cavy
02-19-2004, 04:13 PM
I own a cavalier but the ford focus is the only 4 cyl. I know that will accept a V8 302 that is crazy.

BlueBomber
02-19-2004, 09:13 PM
I saw a guy that had a short-block 350 in his Cavalier (drag car), so it can be done....

fajita23200
03-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Well, I waste my time with domestic small cars because I can buy one, mod it out to be a competitor against most v8's, and have enough cash left over to be able to still afford to pay my insurance every month.

Let's face it, the v8 sports cars kick ass, but they are just too damned expensive. Not only in initial costs but also in insurance. Hell my insurance company won't even insure anyone under 21 for Camaro's, Trans Am's, ect, ect....

Don't get me wrong though. When I graduate someday and have a real job and make real money, the first thing you will see in my driveway is a 2002 Trans Am WS6!!!
I don't know who your insurance company is.But damn near every company will do it,if you are willing to pay the premium.I was married to a woman quite a few years older than me.Her son had a camaro at 16.He paid 390.00 a month.But,he managed to do it.So,if you can afford it.It can be done.

fajita23200
03-11-2004, 11:36 AM
I saw a guy that had a short-block 350 in his Cavalier (drag car), so it can be done....
I also have seen a guy with a 96 LT1 in his cavy,5spd,very,very,quick/fast.

BlueBomber
03-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I also have seen a guy with a 96 LT1 in his cavy,5spd,very,very,quick/fast.

Yeah, I bet it was what time did he run?

cavi racer
05-03-2004, 12:16 PM
ok stock for stock the srt4 will annilhate all of the above. a highly moded srt4 will easily do low 12's high 11's. so yea srt is easily the best car up there.

srtducatispeeder
05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Whoever said that the srt is a low 15 sec car is very off with thier numbers. I am at work, but have my first ever timeslip run with my srt. It reads as such.

R/T 1.328
60' 2.307
330 6.218
1/8 9.326
mph 79.76
1000 11.999
1/4 14.271
mph 98.84

This is bone stock, first run at the track with this car ever. I have since gotten a 13.8 out if it in stock trim by cutting my 60' down as well as launching a little less aggressively. Traction is your friend and I launched the 14.2 run around 2500 rpm. I now launch at 1800 rpm, minimizing wheel spin and cutting my times down. There are a few stock srt's running in the 13.7 range. Many have under $2000 in mods, and are well into the 12's. I have an 04. I have clearly casted my vote by buying an srt, but I dont think you guys have all of your infor right on this particular vehicle.

cavi racer
05-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Whoever said that the srt is a low 15 sec car is very off with thier numbers. I am at work, but have my first ever timeslip run with my srt. It reads as such.

R/T 1.328
60' 2.307
330 6.218
1/8 9.326
mph 79.76
1000 11.999
1/4 14.271
mph 98.84

This is bone stock, first run at the track with this car ever. I have since gotten a 13.8 out if it in stock trim by cutting my 60' down as well as launching a little less aggressively. Traction is your friend and I launched the 14.2 run around 2500 rpm. I now launch at 1800 rpm, minimizing wheel spin and cutting my times down. There are a few stock srt's running in the 13.7 range. Many have under $2000 in mods, and are well into the 12's. I have an 04. I have clearly casted my vote by buying an srt, but I dont think you guys have all of your infor right on this particular vehicle.

thank god some one with some knowledge!!!! did u read this in srtforums?? i was reading this and i just kept getting more pissed off. so i thought i would show it to some people who knew there shit. so once again thanks for showing these tools what they really are.

sweetwhiteCAV
05-04-2004, 08:41 AM
yeah, my freind has a mazdaspeed protege thats cranking out about 18 lbs. of boost and its anihalet everything that comes across its path thus far, but last week we were leaving school to go get some lunch when we came across an srt-4. to make a long story short, the neon pulled about 1-1/2 to 2 cars ahead then my freind hit fuel cut in third gear and he was gone... so now i have gained alot more respect for the srt-4...

cavi racer
05-04-2004, 12:13 PM
^^^^^^ so there's only two other smart people on this site!!

eclipsetzzz
05-04-2004, 08:24 PM
like the man said, i give major props to the srt-4, but i believe it is still too slow. i own a 95 eclipse that i am running mid to low 11's at rockfalls. upgrades are big 16g turbo, custom exhaust manifold, straight exhaust all the way back, 650cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, 20 psi of boost, and much more. am pushing over 500hp on stock internals. i also read in sport compact that a 93 eclipse runs 0-60 in 3.84 sec. and 1/4 in like 8-9 seconds so i would take a 2nd gen eclipse over any domestic or even the 1g eclipse. the rst-4 is the only domestic that even has a chance against any import.

Race Team:BadBoyPerformance and TechOne
Sponsors: DragonAutomotive,XtremeImportPerformance,Nghia'sAu toService(A Master ASE Certified Technician for over 20 yrs), ExtremeCustomDecals, And a few other small hometown others, Always looking for more though!!

:screwy: 1 luv = my rice burner :twak: ponnies are for little girls :dupe: bowties are for sunday school boys and well diamonds are forever :bananadie

cavi racer
05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
like the man said, i give major props to the srt-4, but i believe it is still too slow. i own a 95 eclipse that i am running mid to low 11's at rockfalls. upgrades are big 16g turbo, custom exhaust manifold, straight exhaust all the way back, 650cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, 20 psi of boost, and much more. am pushing over 500hp on stock internals. i also read in sport compact that a 93 eclipse runs 0-60 in 3.84 sec. and 1/4 in like 8-9 seconds so i would take a 2nd gen eclipse over any domestic or even the 1g eclipse. the rst-4 is the only domestic that even has a chance against any import.

Race Team:BadBoyPerformance and TechOne
Sponsors: DragonAutomotive,XtremeImportPerformance,Nghia'sAu toService(A Master ASE Certified Technician for over 20 yrs), ExtremeCustomDecals, And a few other small hometown others, Always looking for more though!!

:screwy: 1 luv = my rice burner :twak: ponnies are for little girls :dupe: bowties are for sunday school boys and well diamonds are forever :bananadie

holy shit 0-60 in 3.84 sec's wow your dumb! a stock srt will kill any stock dsm. geez how many times do i have to say that in this thread.

cavalieral
05-09-2004, 12:58 AM
gots to be the cavalier. and yes cavalier and sunfire are the same car.. enginewise :) GM ticks me off too. they tease but never please.. my problem example = Hella produced those bodycolor matching projectors for the 263? [orange stolen cavalier]..they have them, but GM will not let them be released to the public.. I WANT THEM

dr_mario_505
05-17-2004, 10:47 PM
i'd say the pontiac fiero has the most potential. with the rear engine set up you can drop 350 v-8s in them and if you dont know what a fiero is it's a car about the size of a cavalier made in the 80's it has a rear engine and runs low 15's stock with a 2.8 litre v-6. most people drop chevy 350 v-8s in them. I also think the cavalier z-24 (1990 v-6 and the 2000-2002) have alot of potential with a turbo the v-6 cavaliers can run 12's and z24's can run high 14's with very little modification (intake exhuast computer weight reduction ) and you can supercharge 2.4's and cavalier connection is coming out with a turbo kit for the 2.4 soon

Add your comment to this topic!