Page updated on 06-18-2018

Delayed upshift V10 47RE AT

cfiigep
02-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I posted a thread in December about delayed upshifting in my 96 2500 V10 automatic. It was most pronounced from 2-3. Required lifting my foot from gas pedal to allow the transmission to shift. No answers then. . . .so here it is now.

The problem was a defective governor pressure transducer (sensor). It lives on the valve body, and is easy to replace. Drop the pan, remove the governor housing block and R&R the transducer. I replaced both the transducer and the governor solenoid while I had the pan off. Refer to TSB 18-19-98 at www.dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-19-98.htm. While the TSB addresses wide open throttle bucking during heavy current loads on the electrical system, the problem is more apparent as the transducer fails worse. Symptoms will be delayed upshifts from 2-3 with wide open throttle, becoming gradually more delayed until finally having to take your foot off the gas altogether, then refusal to upshift at all. Delayed 1-2 upshifts will also be noted. Mine eventually refused to upshift into 3rd, and the only way to get it into 2nd was to put the gear selector into 2.

Dodge was no help. Neither was Aamco or Jasper. It took hours of research and a well placed call to the honest folks at Accurate Transmissions (www.accuratetrans.com) to get the answer. The new replacement transducer and solenoid set me back less than $160, versus the $3,800 plus tax quote I got from Dodge.

scoutinkeith
02-08-2005, 07:51 AM
cfiigep,
that's good info, do you happen to know if it applies to the 1500's as well? I'm starting to notice a slight delay in my 2 to3 shift, but wasn't sure if the transmissions were the same in both the 2500, and 1500.

fredjacksonsan
02-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Great post cfiigep!

cfiigep
02-09-2005, 05:43 AM
cfiigep,
that's good info, do you happen to know if it applies to the 1500's as well? I'm starting to notice a slight delay in my 2 to3 shift, but wasn't sure if the transmissions were the same in both the 2500, and 1500.

When I found my answer, I sent you a personal email through this BBS attached to your personal profile. You must not have received it. My suggestion is that while it may be related, you need to check the Dodge service manual for your transmission. Also check the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) for your year and model. Refer to my original post on this thread for the home page address.

Sorry, I just laid out $125 for the manual for mine and it is year specific. While it is a little pricey, it damn sure saved me a bunch of dough.

Geoff

scoutinkeith
02-09-2005, 08:49 AM
thanks,
I did get the email, I just hadn't had time to check it till this morning.
thanks again,
Keith

Add your comment to this topic!