Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Werid Not starting 2500

joross422
02-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a 1990 GMC 2500 w/350 auto trans. I have already replaced the fuel pump, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. I will drive about 50 miles and ice fish for about 4 hours, come back and it cranks over and seems not to be getting gas. This has happened three times so far. It also shoots a check engine code for the egr while driving. Once it does start it runs great untill the check engine light comes on and it seems like it really wants to suck gas. The mechanic that replaced the fuel pump said the egr code should not allow the truck to start is this correct??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Daci
02-08-2005, 05:59 AM
Change the EGR valve, its not expencive at all

joross422
02-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Will the EGR not all the truck to start?? Went out to take it toninght and it just truns over and won't start.

BlueMonster
02-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Yup. If the EGR valve is stuck wide open, the truck won't start. I had the same problem. I need a quick fix, so I cut a sheet of aluminum and made a little plate to block the EGR valve off until I could get another one. As soon as I did that it started right up and worked like that no problem for 6 months. I burned a bit more gas though. And it's definitely bad for emissions without the EGR valve working.

joross422
02-14-2005, 03:30 PM
I did replace the EGR, I ended up taking it to the shop and they put in a module. I picked up an egr and replaced it, It starts pretty good but the check engine still comes on and will probably get that code checked next. Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!