Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine

MEvanoff
02-07-2005, 02:31 PM
The check engine light just popped up one day on my 1997 Ford Explorer Sport. There is nothing obvious like the tempreture, oil pressure, etc. that would make this appear. Should I take it to my mechanic, or are there some things I can look for or attempt, before doing this? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks!

Mendari
02-07-2005, 03:19 PM
The fuel injectors need to be serviced, and a new O2 sensor is required.
You should be able to replace the O2 sensor and clean out the throttle-body by yourself.
Unless you have the tools to bench-test fuel injectors, you'll need to get that done at a shop.

yotermanic
02-10-2005, 10:32 PM
How do you diagnose a check engine light without a code? For all you know it's lower intake o-rings or a dpfe, or maybe even a loose fuel cap. I'd reccommend going to Autozone, getting the code pulled and posting the code here, then we can help you. I work a Ford dealership and have never serviced fuel injectors for a check engine light, and I've never had to bench test fuel injectors, either.

wiredone
02-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes I agree with yotermanic if you don't get the codes you really are just left in the dark. I have a 91 and it ended up being the fuel pressure regulator but I also had gas going in the oil which was causeing the oil to look as if it was a quart over full. but the o2 sensor is possible but most of the time either one of these will cause it to run poorly. If the maf is dirty or bad it can also cause this. But get the codes and you will have more to go on. Good luck :smile:

jamest_corvel
02-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I am about to buy a 96' Explorer XLT V8 from a friend for $1400. This truck has 220k hwy miles and still running strong. The engine is so smooth. This is surprising for Ford. Out of curiousity, I decided to buy it and use it for daily drive. I want to see how far/long it can go.

The problem start a few days ago. After my friend replaced the air filter, suddenly the check engine light turn on. He later reset the light by disconnecting the batt. Now the light is back on. I took the truck to a shop and they said the error code report failure in EGR SYSTEM (EGR155). They also checked and there seem to be no pressure in the vacum hoses.

I need to have this check engine light fix to transfer the title. So far, does my problem sound common ? Or this is the sign of this TRUCK about to go to the cemetary ? Is the ODBII on the explorer accurate ?

PS: I didnt post this in a new thread because I think I have similar problem to this thread owner.

wrigley123
02-17-2005, 11:05 AM
I am about to buy a 96' Explorer XLT V8 from a friend for $1400. This truck has 220k hwy miles and still running strong. The engine is so smooth. This is surprising for Ford. Out of curiousity, I decided to buy it and use it for daily drive. I want to see how far/long it can go.

The problem start a few days ago. After my friend replaced the air filter, suddenly the check engine light turn on. He later reset the light by disconnecting the batt. Now the light is back on. I took the truck to a shop and they said the error code report failure in EGR SYSTEM (EGR155). They also checked and there seem to be no pressure in the vacum hoses.

I need to have this check engine light fix to transfer the title. So far, does my problem sound common ? Or this is the sign of this TRUCK about to go to the cemetary ? Is the ODBII on the explorer accurate ?

PS: I didnt post this in a new thread because I think I have similar problem to this thread owner.

DON'T BUY IT!

Mike

me-and-em-too
02-17-2005, 02:14 PM
My check engine light has been on for 4 years...it comes and goes intermittently. Have had the puter checked and it reads out as the EGR system as well. My mechanic said (when it first came on 4 years ago) "Well, it's a valve sticking. I can either fix it now for about $400 or you can just wait until it really needs to be fixed and I can fix it then for about $400." He popped it open somehow (with this really loud BANG) and it stayed off for a few days. He also put a can or BGM or something like that in the tank and that helped. He told me to drive to Panama City (2 hours away by interstate) and get a coke, then hop back on the interstate home. I never did that but hey, it might have worked. I had it checked again recently and the guy told me he could fix it easy for about $360. (Different mechanic.) The truck runs rougher when the light is OFF. Hope this helps some.

jamest_corvel
02-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just got the car back from the shop. They cleaned the hoses, egr, reset the light. The smog passed with ease. I have put in roughly 40 miles so far and still running fine with engine light off(knock on wood).

Uhmm $1400 for a 96 explorer V8. Definitely can not beat that....

"me n em" - you say fix the sticking valve cost 400$ ? Are you refering to the egr valve ?

me-and-em-too
02-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the tip. I just got the car back from the shop. They cleaned the hoses, egr, reset the light. The smog passed with ease. I have put in roughly 40 miles so far and still running fine with engine light off(knock on wood).

Uhmm $1400 for a 96 explorer V8. Definitely can not beat that....

"me n em" - you say fix the sticking valve cost 400$ ? Are you refering to the egr valve ?

I have no idea what valve (sorry I'm pretty lame when it comes to anything terminology besides basic car parts) but both mechanics said it was a "valve" sticking. Glad the fix helped you! Was it around $400 or more (sounds like you're in CA because of the emissions inspection.) Me-and-em-too

jamest_corvel
02-18-2005, 09:13 AM
I am in CA and this state is the worse when come to smog inspection. Anything little things that are not right...FAIL. Anyway, it cost me $125 to flush and clean the egr system, replace hoses. $50 for the smog check. Total came out to $175. I am not sure if wether this fix will cure the egr issue 100% but at least it pass the smog test for me for now. In a few more weeks, if the engine light dont come back on, then I would feel better.

BlitzKeg
02-19-2005, 11:15 AM
exhaust gas recirculator valve....EGR valve

I think who ever is trying to charge $400 to replace a egr valve it is dicking you around,,...

Go find some better shops, see if they can do it for cheaper. avoid dealerships.

& MEvanoff, don't listen to medari, fuel injectors............wtf, its a check engine light, it could be anything,.

take your truck to autozone or o'reillys, or somewhere were they will read your dtc's for free, and carefull there are many idiots on internet forums.

jamest_corvel
02-19-2005, 03:24 PM
1 day after smog checked, the engine light is back on....DAMNNNNNN

I noticed the oil was low and change is due. I do complete flush and refill with fresh CASTROL. Suddendly after oil change, the ENGINE LIGHT IS OFF.....This is so weird....

Landis
02-19-2005, 04:22 PM
My horn does not blow/work, it did a few days ago but now it's gone silent. What can I do to repair it?

jamest_corvel
02-19-2005, 10:41 PM
have you check the fuse/relay ?

jaskel
02-24-2005, 05:06 AM
i had a check engine light on and the code they pulled was the EGR valve ...id get it codded

Add your comment to this topic!