Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 rodeo 4-Wheel Drive Problems

sugarleslie2000
02-07-2005, 02:52 PM
I purchased my used 2001 rodeo about 4 months ago. Test drove and all worked well---very clean. My problem is the 4 wheel drive works sometimes. It may work fine one day. It may not engage at all another. Sometimes when I engage it, it will engage and then disengage for no appearant reason a few miles down the road. It also did this once when I stopped at a stop sign. I love my vehicle.....but I really need the 4 wheel drive to work. After all I did pay for a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I have had it in the shop 3 times now...They are stomped. Does anybody out there have any suggestions?

amigo-2k
02-07-2005, 03:01 PM
http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq68

SOLSTER
02-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Nice tip here on the faq page:

They key to 4wd is to use it at least once a month. Turn it on, drive 50 feet turn it off. This will help to keep the SOTF (shift on the fly) stuff lubed up.

I hadn't seen that before!

thanks amigo-2k

sugarleslie2000
02-07-2005, 04:34 PM
The first thing that was replaced was the actuator. The second time in, it was some kind of sensor. Since these were replaced, works better but still not right.

Nice tip here on the faq page:

They key to 4wd is to use it at least once a month. Turn it on, drive 50 feet turn it off. This will help to keep the SOTF (shift on the fly) stuff lubed up.

I hadn't seen that before!

thanks amigo-2k

amigo-2k
02-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Well I think I would dig into the auto hubs next. Maybe the C-clip slipped (have the bearings recently packed with grease?).

rodeo02
02-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Well I think I would dig into the auto hubs next. Maybe the C-clip slipped (have the bearings recently packed with grease?).

It shouldn't be that, 'cause 1998+ have drive flanges locked in all the time as opposed to auto/locking hubs. Maybe there is a weak electrical connection to the SOTF actuator? or maybe the 'new' one is bad? there is also an electric clutch in the transfer case that engages the transfer case output when you press the 4x4 button. I *think* your wheel speed sensors also come into play, but only on 4x4 engagement. You'd also get an ABS light if a wheel speed sensor was funky. I guess I'd start by looking for a bad electrical connection @ the 4x4 button, SOTF and transfercase.
G/luck!
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!