Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

00 stiff steering at idle

'00Z71,5.3RcabLbed
02-06-2005, 10:50 PM
I have a 2000 Z71 regular cab long bed with a 5.3L and 52,000 miles. The steering is stiff at idle, the fluid is to the proper level, and it has the same smell as my dads '01 HD 4X4 ext. cab long bed 8.1L with 38,000miles, and my buddies '02 1500 2WD ext. cab short bed 5.3L with 50,000miles.

If I try to turn the wheel fast at idle, in either direction it's very stiff and the pump makes a growling noise. As I said the fluid is to the proper level and doesn't smell any different than my dads which works fine. It doesn't matter what type of surface the truck is on. If I put it in neutral and hold the RPM's at about 1,000 it works ok. I haven't noticed the clunking that I hear is common on these trucks, though there is a recall sticker under the hood #02029, but I don't know what it is for since I didn't have the truck when the recall was done.

The stiffness is very annoying when pulling into or backing out of a parking spot when the engine is at idle or just above.

At first I thought that it was ok cold then when it warmed up it became stiff, but I realized that when I start the truck after it has sat for a while and is cold that it idles at about 1,000 RPM's untill the engine gets warmed up a little, so that's why it seems ok when I start it up in the morning to go to work.

Thanks for your time and any help on the steering or the recall # is greatly appreciated.

silveradoking
02-06-2005, 11:07 PM
The stiffness might be that you have air in your power steering system....Follow proper procedure.... turn vehicle on.... remove power steering cap and make sure wheels are pointed straight.... run at fast idle for about 1 or 2 minutes.... this procedure is better done when the vehicle has been driv'in for some time, so the fluid is warm....then turn your steering wheel to the left all the way without hitting the stops, then turn all the way to the right without hitting the stops.... do it about 15 - 20 times each way.... take your time.... then let vehicle idle for several more minutes..... keep making sure that the fluid is always filled to the top.... though you probably won't have to add any at alll......this should solve your stiffness problem... good luck...

'00Z71,5.3RcabLbed
02-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, I did what you said and it only seemed to make it worse, when it was back to idle, it was impossible to turn.

This morning I realized that when I start it and its cold it idles just about 1000rpm, but when I put it in gear it drops to 700rpm. So while everything was cold and the truck was in gear but not moving it seemed fine. So maybe it does have to due with the temp after all. After I finished what was described silveradoking's post I removed the cap again and checked the temp of the fluid with an infrared thermometer, and the highest I could get was 97.5 degrees. The dealer thinks it may have something to due with the variable speed steering, which I assume is controlled electronically???

Things I've tried so far;
cold start at fast idle(1000) and low idle in gear(700).....works good
stopped after driving a short period (at idle 500).....very stiff, growling noise from pump
jacked both tires off ground, moved tire by hand and turned with steering wheel.....always works well, no binding feeling or growling. Works with engine running or not.
checked temp of hot fluid.....97.5 degrees
tried air removal procedure described above......all the turning seemed to make it worse
all hoses and linkage appear to be in good condition
unhooked battery for over 1 minute (hoping to clear anything that might have to do with variable speed steering.....didn't change anything (not even the radio presets????)
It goes in sometime this week to get checked out, will let you all know asap.

Add your comment to this topic!