Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine turning off

EclipseGST98
02-06-2005, 09:37 PM
hey everyone, i have a 1993 Altima, 4 speed w/ 109k miles on it. i live in NY so it is cold here in the winter time. Last night when i started my car for work, it seemed fine, i had just changed my oil. I through it into drive after 2 or 3mins, and im hitting the gas and everything is ok so far. But i start to slow up to a red light, and my rpms drop below 700-800 and the engine completely shuts down. I cant steer, brake, or hit the gas, so i through it in neutral, start it, and rev the engine to about 3-4 rpms and then throw it in drive just so i can roll and pull over safely. i put the car in park and just let it run. it idles fine in park and neutral, but as soon as i put the car in drive or reverse without giving it gas, it shuts down on me, and it only does it when the car is cold or hasnt been started in 7+ hours. i know it is an old car, but it has never done this to me before. im not sure if this matters, but i had gotten an oil change earlier that day, the night before, i was driving around accelerating a lot, and the night before that, the ABS light came on, and then went off. I know it sounds confusing, and im sorry. Ive read on these forums a lot of times and you guys really seem to know your cars, thus why i am here. anything you guys can tell me is greatly appreciated. thank you so much.

IH8SPM
02-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Check your fuel lines and or fuel for water. You may also be due for a tune up. The oil change had nothing to do with your problem unless you broke or disconnected a wire or two in the process.

chevynut68
03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Change the distributor, they have a seal inside them, that leaks oil, core charge is high, autizone usually has them in stock and you can check any stores stock at Autozone.com

Ezekiel85
03-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Check all you spark plugs. Mine had the same symptoms and it was from a leaky O-Ring on the plug holes that flooded out the plugs.

Add your comment to this topic!