Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How high could a Probe go?

Ghostcloak
02-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Just outa curiosity...

How much hp/torque would be achievable in a ford probe? (estimate are fine) How much would that cost approximately? I think I heard one time that someone got their Probe GT at around 500+ hp... If that is possible, what engine block/turbo/trans/etc.. would be needed to accomplish this? (if you can provide estimate price quotes on these too.. I'll give you a cookie along with my thanks :iceslolan ) Lol.. just wondering....

a1waytrip
02-07-2005, 11:14 PM
hey i think the first generation's are the best to modify, if you are going for speed. probily the lx, since they have the 3.0l. as for price, id have no clue, but i would say that, after 10-15k you could have a kick ass probe. you'd want to do a turbo and everything. but it's alot of money, im sorry to say, as of this summer, my probe is going to be gone, and im moving on to get a toyota mr2. i have had way to many problems with my probe, and i am done dealing with it.
-tom
if you want to buy my 94 gt it's got 121 k on it, perfect for the klze upgrade, i would sell it for like $2500. but i would have to sell it probily some time around next september... only problem is with the distributer and the ecu... i think, not to mention the head leakage... and if you get a klze you get a new dist. and you will need to get a new ecu. and you will no longer have the head leakage!!! hence all problems should be gone!!! haha

96probegt
02-09-2005, 12:25 PM
the second gen gts are sweet cyborg zero makes a650 hp kit

Ghostcloak
02-09-2005, 11:04 PM
What do yall mean by getting "forged internals"? How is the process done and how much would it cost to get a klze done? Also, tom, you said you'd prolly not waste time turbo'ing a KLZE... any real reason why (other than it would cost like 3-4 grand to get it done...) Also, I'm confused... on something.. If i get a turbo, do i also have to upgrade the fuel and cooling systems imediately?

Tom ur the man :-p Thanks!

96probegt
02-10-2005, 12:37 PM
you can turbo any motor its just that the klze runs a 9-1 cr just a little to high to boost with out risk if u only boost around 6lbs it should be all right

Ghostcloak
02-10-2005, 03:39 PM
you can turbo any motor its just that the klze runs a 9-1 cr just a little to high to boost with out risk if u only boost around 6lbs it should be all right

That doesn't sound like much of a boost.... How big of a gain could i expect from only 6lbs? Is it possible to turbo the 2.0L I4 Engine I've currently got in my Stock SE (and see a reasonable HP gain)? Besides forging the internals... anything else I would have to do to the SE to prep it for Turbo-ization if you think its okay to...?

I don't really care for the 1st gen. probes (honestly, i think they look like :nono: :disappoin :eek7: :grinno:) and if i want to do all this upgradin and stuff I want done to my 2nd gen SE, I'm told I need to get the GT.... Just alot of hassle for now, so yeah..... Gawd I wish I got the GT version instead of the SE :rolleyes:

a1waytrip
02-10-2005, 10:06 PM
hey that's why im telling you to get forged internals and all, if you get forged internals you can run upwards of 11 psi, with out having to think about blowing the motor. the forged internals are simply stronger parts for the innerds of the motor. and w/ (internals, head port polishing, 3 or 4 angle job, bigger injectors, custom pistons with turbo applicable rings, beefier rod's, balancing the crank, and upgrade the barrings) it would cost around 5k for the motor. but this motor should be looking at pushing out atleast 500 hp, after turbo's and other mod's. if you want to have the engine supplier do it, these people will do it for you...
aleghorn@speedlinegroup.com
and as for the fuel system, mainly all you will need is a new pump, and yea, if you want to run over (i think) 260 hp, you need to upgrade the pump. and you will want to upgrade the injectors to get everything out of your engine. sorry to say, but it's not going to be able to stop there, yea, you will definatly have to upgrade your cooling system, if you want ur engine to not overheat. but after the engine upgrade is done, you are going to want to do alot more, especially to the drivetrain. not to mention all the small things to do, such as CAI, and high flow exhaust, reconfiguring the ecu, etc. you will probily be looking at 10-15k. good luck man, and yea, you gotta get a gt, the se is gonna be a pain, you can probily sell your se, and get a gt w/ no motor, and have a little $ in the bank.
tom

Ghostcloak
02-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks tom... I'd like to keep in touch with you if you don't mind helping me out again sometime in the future. At the moment, I currently have like 3 grand saved... Seeing as how I'm 18 paying my way through college, this big expense is holding me back from actually making any MAJOR modifications or switching cars... However, with all the information you've provided, I definately know now what my future goals are... Even though 1995-2001 Integras look sweet and are nice rides... for the 7k I looked at spending for just the integra before mods, I think i'm gonna get a probe gt w/klze and all for the same cost... and it will definately be 4-5 times better (at least!) Please keep in touch Tom! Might be a year or two before i get the $7K for this project... (also, when you say PGT, are you talking about the 1st or 2nd gen PGT? Cause I prefer the 2nd gen body over the 1st.... Wouldn't wanna get the generations mixed up and watch as my plans crumble while in the middle of the project...) my email should be in my profile... Keep in touch bro!

Add your comment to this topic!