Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Ram 1500 problems

Aviatrr
02-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I have a 2001 Ram 1500 quad cab 2WD with a 5.9L. I've recently been having some problems with it. Approximately 63,000 miles.

1) The transmission has been acting up. It seems that it is not downshifting properly, because often when I start out it will be in 2nd gear. It took me a couple days to figure out what was happening - I thought it was just slipping at first, but then realized it didn't shift until 40mph or better. Shifting manually into 1st solves the problem. This doesn't happen all the time.

2) When making a left turn(there are several traffic circles in my area, so I often am turning left for 270degrees of the circle), there is a 'thumping' sound coming from, I believe, the right front wheel. I don't believe it's the tire, but I can't say for sure. Years ago I had a '96 Ram 1500 that had a front wheel bearing seize up(while doing 80mph on the freeway). I'm wondering if this can be an indication of a bearing about to go?

3) This has always been an issue, I just wanted to see if others have this problem....when using 87 octane gas, my engine pings quite bad when accelerating. Not bad with 89, not at all with 93. Are all the 5.9L's this tempermental with the lower octane fuels? My manual says 87 octane, but the engine obviously doesn't like it.

I'm seriously considering ditching the Dodge and going with an F250 with a Powerstroke diesel or a Chevy 2500 with a Duramax/Allison. My Dodge is pretty low mileage still, but having problems now..

Thanks for any advice/help you guys can give me!

Mike

thetroutguy
02-06-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't know what to tell you about the transmission, but I would have the wheel bearings checked. Without hearing the sound it is hard to diagnose. I have a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 that is sensitive to lower octane gas. It pings with 87 octane, but is fine with anything higher. Do you notice a loss of power with the lower octane gas? Try shelling out the money for the mid or high octane gas and see if you notice a difference. It may be worth it, it is for me.

BleedDodge
02-06-2005, 03:20 PM
High-octane gas like that isn't recommended for these engines. You should run only 87 octane.

If your engine is pinging, your plenum gaskets are probably shot and need to be replaced. Running higher octane gas means you're really only ignoring the problem. These motors are built to run optimally on 87 octane gasoline, with no pinging or anything.

scoutinkeith
02-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I'd have to agree with BleedDodge about the plenum gasket. there is a vacume test that you can do to check the plenum gasket, but the easiest way is to just remove the air had, open the throttle blades, and look down into the intake with a flashlight. if you can see oil in the intake, there is a really good chance that the plenum gasket is bad.

TorinoGT69
02-08-2005, 08:06 AM
60,000 is about normal for a dodge truck tranny to fail, the noise in the front is probably either a ball joint or wheel bearing, jack it up and check for play.

gtarantola
03-21-2005, 02:54 AM
I bought a 2001 ram 1500 quad cab long box 4WD 5.7L Automatic with 78,000 miles on 1/3/05, and have not had it run right for more than two full weeks since. the engine, steering, brakes, etc. are fine, but the transmission feels like it is about ready to fall out. When first startingh out, first gesr is fine, although it seems a bit sluggish. then i seems to search for 2nd. Once i really jumped on it, it shifted to 2nd, 3rd, back to 2nd, and then wouldn shift out of first, unless i used the lever. this was when they replaced the governor plate thingy. It has been to two different dealers, and has has an overdrive sensor, and a governor pressure plate(?) and another kind of sensor installed. the first time it was opened up under my ownership, (9 days after i took delivery), they found a small piece of a retainer clip. I am Looking into what legal options i have, as i have not been able to drive this thing for more than 1/2 of the time i have owned it. PLEASE!!!! email if you have any sort of similar story, because i would like to have more backup in case i go to court with this, and i would also be more than happy to help you in any way. please email! Good Luck! BUY CHEVY!

zamp98
03-21-2005, 06:08 PM
I have 2001 Dodge Rm, 3.9 auto tranny with 68,000 miles...When I try to start out in drive it feels like im in 3rd gear, if I downshift to 1st and manually shift it everything seems fine..Also the check engine light is on all the time.I have had a regular garage and a tranny shop check it..Garage tells me its the tranny, tranny shop doesnt get any transmission codes when they checked it. They pulled the solinoides out and checked them, they are fine...They say it is something internal and it needs to be rebuilt.I have a feeling it has to be something simple and I dont have the $1,500 to rebuild it....I have already changed the fluid in it twice and didnt really see any metal shavings in the pan.
If anyone has had similar problems please reply ..Thanks

zamp98
03-28-2005, 06:13 AM
ok, heres the deal>> I brought my truck back to Dodge, they replaced the govenor psi soloniod and a transducer solonoid, Ive been driving it for a couple of days now and its been great...all my shifting problems are gone, the truck runs great and feels like it has more power...
Aviatrr I would have these 2 items checked...As for the thumping in the front end, go ahead and replace the wheel hub assembly, this also was a problem with my truck..You cant replace the wheel bearings unless you replace the hub...This part is only available from the dealer and runs around $186...Its a very easy procedure, definatly easier then replaceing the race and bearings like Ford and Chevy has..
Good luck!!!!

carsonmx114
03-28-2005, 09:25 PM
i have a 2000 5.9 and i work with a guy who's got a 01 his trans went out at 50.000 miles. when it went he said it wouldn't downshift to first. the main problem was the kickdown band in the transmition, there are two bands inside your transmition that need to be adjusted. if your works sometimes maybe their loose. i'm just guessing but it might be worth a tranny service at the dealer or someone that knows how to adjust the bands to keep your bands from coming apart.

Add your comment to this topic!