Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4L60-E trans. problems???

70camaro
02-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I have read about some of these tranys failing, and how they start to shift hard before they go. Well, I had the hard shift phenominon afer long drives on hot days. I had the trans. flushed, and put val. max life in (about 100k). I haven't had a problem since. But my question is this: Is there a valve body responsible for the hard shifts, and eventual failure? And if so, is it something that can be fixed WITHOUT removing the trans from the truck? I am asking because even though mine has stopped shifting hard, I may want to get the valve replaced if it will save an entire reuild later.... (lazyness is it's own motivation!!)

flood zone
02-09-2005, 10:16 PM
hi, i was having the same trouble with my 99. tranny shop told me to upgrade the valve body for 450. i give him the go ahead and head called me back shortly and told me mine was in bad shape. he did a complete rebuild. that worked for about 4 weeks. it started shifting hard again today. go figure! i am taking it back to him tomorrow. cost $2000 so i would like it right. if you find out what could cause this to happen. please let me know. thanks

Akshay
02-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Valve bodies are inside of transmission. It gets stuck. Is only 1-2 shifts rough?

Owners usually get new transmission installed. It's a bit more expensive though.

2000CAYukon
02-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Valve bodies are inside of transmission. It gets stuck. Is only 1-2 shifts rough?

Owners usually get new transmission installed. It's a bit more expensive though.

True the valve body is inside the transmission; however, it can be removed without removing the transmission from the vehicle.

The pan and filter need to be removed to get access to the valve body.

70camaro, you should look at a having a transgo reprogramming kit installed. It fixes a lot of issues with the 4l60e and improves shifting and 3/4 clutch life.

When they have the valve body out, any valves that are not replaced with the transgo kit can be repaired/replaced if worn.

The kit I am refering to is the transgo 4L60E-HD2 reprogramming kit.

//2000CAYukon

70camaro
02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Yukon, is the Transgo kit a parts install, or a reprogram for the computer, or both? I might just do it if I'm going to be in there anyway...

2000CAYukon
02-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Yukon, is the Transgo kit a parts install, or a reprogram for the computer, or both? I might just do it if I'm going to be in there anyway...

The kit is a parts install. No computer mods required. I guess it is called a reprogramming kit because it increases line pressure (like a computer reprogram). It also replaces certain springs, the 1-2 shift valve and other parts.

The installer will ask you how you want the shifts (firm, mild, race). I bought the kit for my 96 Impala SS with 65K miles on it. I am not going for extra firm shifts. My purpose is transmission life and some performance. I am just waiting for a dry weekend to install it. Hopefully, next weekend.

A lot of the tranny rebuilders install this kit as part of a rebuild.

//2000CAYukon

Add your comment to this topic!