Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shake/ rumble when I hit the brakes.

ps27
02-05-2005, 04:03 PM
96 skylark 2.4l. When I hit the brakes at any speed over 30 the car shakes. This gets worse when at higher speeds. Brakes have all been replaced, still have prob. Car has new tires, struts, shoks. Any help would be appreciated.

Mr.Molasses
03-18-2005, 05:34 PM
everything was replaced on the brakes? pads, rotors, calipers? how about the wheel bearings?

steve101
05-18-2005, 04:53 AM
in my experience shaking a shuddering when applying the brakes means the rotors are warped and either need to be cut or replaced. it is not uncommon for the rotors to be warped fresh out of the box

beau078418
05-22-2005, 07:53 PM
96 skylark 2.4l. When I hit the brakes at any speed over 30 the car shakes. This gets worse when at higher speeds. Brakes have all been replaced, still have prob. Car has new tires, struts, shoks. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it a shake or a shimmy? When you did your front brakes did you look at the rotors? I'm sure you did but, if your rotors wasn't replaced I might suspect a warped rotor. On time on my Chevy Tahoe I was going real fast and had to stand on the brakes to stop to avoid a wreck. I heated up the RH Front rotor real hot and it warped. Thus from then on everytime I applied my brakes I would get a shimmy. I replaced the rotors and it went away. Just a thought....

Beau

Zarder
12-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Try shifting into neutral before braking. If that stops it, your trans is failing to disengage the lockup torque converter. One choice then is to clip that wire going to trans.

Add your comment to this topic!