Page updated on 10-22-2017

90' Ford problem, don't know how to fix

CwGrL88Chinny
02-05-2005, 09:02 AM
I have a 1990 Ford Probe and lately it has been cutting out and Im practically getting whipflash. It does it at all speeds and I put fuel injector cleaner in the tank and it dosen't seem to be working. Also I have a burnt smell coming from the drivers side tire well, not sure where that's coming from. Last thing, what is the difference between the Winter/Summer mode?

If anyone has any comments, they'd be greatly appreciated!

mcmalloy
02-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I Would Check The Coil Wire And The Wires Going Into The Coil

dwgeorge
02-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Is it an automatic or manuel transmission? If it is an automatic check your transmission fluid, if manuel it could be your clutch slipping. The winter/summer is for your windshield wipers, winter parks them on the windshield where the defroster can get them unstuck if frozen instead of on the metal at the bottom of the windshield.

CwGrL88Chinny
02-12-2005, 09:37 PM
It's a V-6, 3.0 manual, It's not the clutch because I just got a new one put in, but when my bf drove it he have her hel* and she quit cuttin' out so bad, now she's back at it and worse.
More suggestions please

a1waytrip
02-13-2005, 10:57 AM
might be the distributer, my 94 pgt did something like that, got the dist replaced and it stopped doing it for a little bit, now, after 2 distributers, it still does it occasionally, not too often tho, and i have found that resetting the ecu tends to fix the problem for a little bit. a couple of questions, when it does this, do you need to start the car back up? or is it just a sudden jolt, and ur rpm's drop to 0? it may be something related to the air intake. the best thing to do is maybe take it to a mechanic and try and get a free estamate on what it is, then just fix it your self.
tom

a1waytrip
02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
hey, ever figure out the problem?
tom

CwGrL88Chinny
03-31-2005, 08:45 AM
yup, welll sort of I replaced the dist, coil, plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil, oil filter,well basically gave it a really good tune up...drove like it was a brand new car... now it isn't as great but it's not bad..I think the problem was that I have an exhaust leak up by my manifold and I think it's fouling out my plugs...

shawnwilliams
04-03-2005, 01:11 AM
winter mode your windshield wipers stay up at all times so they dont get ice built up and dont work, summer is when there down normally.

Doc_Ratchet
04-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Is it an automatic or manuel transmission? If it is an automatic check your transmission fluid, if manuel it could be your clutch slipping. The winter/summer is for your windshield wipers, winter parks them on the windshield where the defroster can get them unstuck if frozen instead of on the metal at the bottom of the windshield.
Where is the winter/summer switch located? Been looking all over the dash for it and finding nothing!

Add your comment to this topic!