Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Grand Am Computer Communication

Hallaian42
02-05-2005, 04:29 AM
I just bought a 95 grand am SE V6. I need to get the thing smogged, but the check engine light is on. I took it to a repair shop to get the code checked, but when the technician tried using the scanner (OBDI) it said that it could not communicate with the computer. He used the connecter under the driverside dash. He also tried using the "pin jumping" technique. This also did not work. I heard that there are special builds for this year and model. Does anyone know if there is another connecter somewhere. Help would be appreciated, Thanks.

FormulaLT1
02-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Does your vehicle have a OBd2 datalink or OBD1?. I know your computer is a OBD1 but some models in 95 such as all LT1's had the datalink of a OBD2 (also alot of 94-95 models won't flash codes) and when scanned with that connector the scanners would get error messages when trying to read the computer if this is the case then you can use jumper wires with a OBD1 scanner like this http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg
Good Luck and hope this helps.

John

Hallaian42
02-05-2005, 09:13 PM
It is the OBDI connecter with 3 wires.

FormulaLT1
02-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Do you have a terminal B?. If you don't know were that is I will point it out?. Some OBD 1's don't have a B and code scanner's some times don't work with them.

Add your comment to this topic!