Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do ya fix/replace a stripped windshield wiper arm?

SeeGull
02-04-2005, 11:28 PM
hey guys, need some help/advice. got a 98 blazer LT with a driver side windshield wiper that is stripped. what i mean is that when the wipers are cut on, the passenger wiper goes across the windshield fine and the drivers side just stays put. looking close at the wipers when cut on, the wiper motor is turning fine for both, its just that the driver side just sits there with the motor moving. IS THERE A WAY TO POP OFF WIPER ARM FROM MOTOR POST???? Need help cause vehicle inspection coming due next month. any help greatly aprreciated.

mike2004tct
02-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Where the wiper arm attaches to the post, you have to remove the cover, this is just a snap fit cover. Once the cover is off, you'll see a screw in the center of the arm where it attaches to the post. Remove the screw, and pry the arm off of the post. A screw driver under the arm usually does the trick, prying evenly around the post.

Rick Norwood
02-05-2005, 10:58 AM
hey guys, need some help/advice. got a 98 blazer LT with a driver side windshield wiper that is stripped. what i mean is that when the wipers are cut on, the passenger wiper goes across the windshield fine and the drivers side just stays put. looking close at the wipers when cut on, the wiper motor is turning fine for both, its just that the driver side just sits there with the motor moving. IS THERE A WAY TO POP OFF WIPER ARM FROM MOTOR POST???? Need help cause vehicle inspection coming due next month. any help greatly aprreciated.

You might try taking the Truck to Auto Zone and explain the problem to them, if your wiper arm is the problem and not the shaft coming out of the motor, they'll be glad to sell you a new wiper arm and will usually help you install it.

blazee
02-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Damn, those inspections must suck I'm glad I don't have to do it.

ACCX4
02-05-2005, 11:41 AM
The passenger side of mine was stripped out. I removed the arm and used a star shaped bit that I had for removing the seat belt anchors to drive some splines back into the arm (since the arm is just aluminum). The splines were not as fine as the ones on the anchor however it worked out beautifully. I reattached the arm and tightened the nut and wah lah. I was going to drill a small hole in the arm and set a pin however that was proving more difficult than I had anticipated. I was informed after the fact that I could have put sand paper (fairly low grit) around the spindle and replaced the arm over it leaving sand paper wedged between the spindle and the arm (similar to putting steel wool in a screw hole when a hole gets stripped) and tightening the arm up. just something to grab hold of both peices at the same time.

Add your comment to this topic!