Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing Belt question

Zanark
01-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Well got a quick question Im about to do a timing belt change but I have a bit of a problem. See for some reason when I bought my car I had a LS Block and a B20 Head. Soooo Im kinda lost as to which Timing belt I buy. EIther the one for the honda CRV or the LS one. Is there any difference between the two? ALso this may be a dumb question but what special kinda tools do I need to get the job done?

Zanark
01-31-2005, 02:36 PM
bump

whtteg
01-31-2005, 02:41 PM
The two heads are the same, so get the LS timing belt.
The only "special" tools you will need to do this job are 1) something to hold the crankshaft pulley while you remove the bolt and I would recomend 2) a helms manual. Not a chiltons or autozone manual but a helms manual from www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com).
I would also advise you to replace the front crankshaft and camshaft seals,a nd the water pump while you are at it.

Edit: You know what, I had even looked up all the part #'s for you and was about to post this all and I see the post move up and post form you saying "bump".I removed them b/c of this!
You need to read the rules at the top of the page.

sleeper97
01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
whats wrong with a chiltons?

integralover
01-31-2005, 07:09 PM
the chiltons and haynes are good but, the helminc is the acura guide book. it specifies the year. whereas the haynes tells you about 90-93 integra and the legend. why get a manual for a legend when all you need is your year and model. check out this link http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?class%5F2=AHA&mk=Acura&yr=1993&md=Integra&dt=Shop%2FService+Information&module=&from=result&Style=&Sku=61SK703&itemtype=N&mscsid=HNJJCTV08RVW8H6SS4FHAH3GG22EB2NB
and i did what whtteg said and it made my belt change go alot smoother.

Zanark
02-01-2005, 10:17 PM
lol wait wait Ive read all the rules but I havent posted in awhile I apologize for doing the whole "bump" thing, if youve noticed in my past posts I never did that buuuut I was kinda in a rush so, Im sorry. I would appreciate those part #'s though.

Zanark
02-01-2005, 10:21 PM
also I already have a haynes manual for the integra, I dont really care for it because they dont go into enough detail for me. PLus they dont specify the size of the tools you need. Its more trial and error.

whtteg
02-01-2005, 11:09 PM
also I already have a haynes manual for the integra, I dont really care for it because they dont go into enough detail for me. PLus they dont specify the size of the tools you need. Its more trial and error.

That is why I recomended the helms manual ;)

krushone
02-02-2005, 05:27 PM
If you are gonna change your timing belt might as well change your water pump too ...

Zanark
02-04-2005, 10:54 PM
not to be posting again but, everyone ive talked to has been telling me to not mess wtih the timing. I wanna say screw em but it does seem like you can mess up your engine pretty damn quick. IS there anything specific things you wanna double check while your doing it? is there a certain procedure I should go by? I just dont have 500$ or more to spend on getting the belt replaced. Right now My car has about 85k miles so it needs to be done. Any suggestions?

TypeGsR
02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
i have a question whats "bump" mean i dont no why thats a big deal maybe somebidy can fill me in???

integralover
02-05-2005, 11:48 PM
bump is when your question has not been answered in awhile and your post is dropping down the list. it is just to get attention on the thread.

whtteg
02-07-2005, 09:52 PM
not to be posting again but, everyone ive talked to has been telling me to not mess wtih the timing. I wanna say screw em but it does seem like you can mess up your engine pretty damn quick. IS there anything specific things you wanna double check while your doing it? is there a certain procedure I should go by? I just dont have 500$ or more to spend on getting the belt replaced. Right now My car has about 85k miles so it needs to be done. Any suggestions?

If you spend the $60 on the helms manual and follow it word for word then you will be fine. It will tell you every little thing that you need to do and how to do it. Trust me it is worth the money 10 times over. That is the best advice I can give you.

Add your comment to this topic!