Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 AWD: bearing noise, can not isolate

cornbuzzard
02-04-2005, 06:33 PM
The noise is heard when you accelerate. sounds like a bearing combined with wind noise. Its very annoying, but hard for others to hear. Took it to the dealer twice. They could not isolate. The first time they said there was a service bulletin, and they changed the thrust bearing in the transfer case. The second time they scratched there head.

Please help

Eggert
02-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi,
on a 2004 under warranty they have to scratch their heads until it is fixed.
Bring it back, just be nice to them.
This will only get worse and more expensive.
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

meldrock
06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
The noise is heard when you accelerate. sounds like a bearing combined with wind noise. Its very annoying, but hard for others to hear. Took it to the dealer twice. They could not isolate. The first time they said there was a service bulletin, and they changed the thrust bearing in the transfer case. The second time they scratched there head.

Please help

I am having the same problem with my 2004 Denali, did you ever solve your problem? If you did I would be very interested in how it was solved. My GMC dealer wanted $7000 to take down the front wheel drive assembly to diagnose the problem.

limesmj
07-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Had the exact same problem on my 2004. After complaining a while to the dealer, they replaced both front wheel bearings. Didn't really solve the issue but the noise was reduced a tad... I still wasn't happy so they ended up rebuilding the front differential. Took them about 3 days and it got rid of the noise totally - like it was brand new again.

Fast forward 2 years later and the noise is back and getting louder. Personally, I think it is a design flaw of some sort and now that the truck is out of warranty, I can't afford to get the front diff rebuilt again.

Add your comment to this topic!