Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 wrangler won't start

GWR
02-04-2005, 05:55 PM
no spark, no volt gauge, no fuel gauge, turns over, fuses good, orb 2 link error

ps
Does any one know the purpose of a clockspring?

aspiderfreak
02-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, I'm not sure about the gauges not working. I do know that a common problem with the 97s is the fuel sending unit. quite often you could be sitting on what you think is a 1/2 tank or so when your really on empty. There was a factory recall for this. go to the oficial Jeep site and put in your VIN to see if you have any recalls.

rdamon
02-07-2005, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=GWR]no spark, no volt gauge, no fuel gauge, turns over, fuses good, orb 2 link error

ps
Does any one know the purpose of a clockspring?[/QUOTE A clock spring is a part of the airbag sys, located in your steereing wheel if the airbag deploys it is ness. for the clock spring to be replaced

oxjeeps
02-19-2005, 12:28 PM
I am having the exact same problem with my 97 wrangler. None of the guages are working, no fire, but it will turn over. The fuel pump is not running. Will run when it is crossed over. If you have any suggestions let me know. I am puzzled???

GWR
02-21-2005, 09:48 AM
still no luck and am baffled am currently seeking computer if any one kwows of one Iwould be interested yhank you.

GWR
02-21-2005, 09:52 AM
I forgot to mention it is a 2.5 w/ 5 speed . I was told this is important?

JeeperRich
02-22-2005, 04:32 PM
The TJs had a recall on the dashboard unit -- the connector in the back would work itself loose, and the gauge clusters would zero. The engine would still run, though -- you just wouldn't see anything on the gauges. I don't know if this would keep you from starting -- I only saw it while running (hit a bump, gauges drop to 0... hit another bump, gauges come back... really entertaining...).

You could check this by pulling the gauge cluster and reinserting it.

ps. The clockspring is in an assembly behind the airbag -- it's basically a wound ribbon with wire conductors running from a connector on the steering column to the airbag/horn assembly. It's there so that when the wheel is turned, wires don't get hung up. I assume you have to replace it after an airbag deploys because particles from the airbag can short the conductors in the clockspring. I've had mine short during a particularly wet rainstorm (no roof).

fearsnofish
02-28-2005, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=JeeperRich]The TJs had a recall on the dashboard unit -- the connector in the back would work itself loose, and the gauge clusters would zero. The engine would still run, though -- you just wouldn't see anything on the gauges. I don't know if this would keep you from starting -- I only saw it while running (hit a bump, gauges drop to 0... hit another bump, gauges come back... really entertaining...).

I am having the same problem with my Jeep. I checked the Jeep site and there is no recall on my Jeep but just today, hit a bump, all of the gauges went crazy and then it died. I have been having trouble starting it - maybe I need new spark plugs? I just replaced the fuel filter and pump and the mechanic checked the wiring, but noone seems to have a clue about the gauges.
Its getting frustrating - any suggestions?
Thanks

GWR
03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
the problem turned out to be the computer. who knaw the gauges ran threw the computer ? and the dealer said the computers never DIE.

fearsnofish
03-01-2005, 02:13 PM
the problem turned out to be the computer. who knaw the gauges ran threw the computer ? and the dealer said the computers never DIE.

So did you have to replace the computer? We unplugged ours last night and so far its running. I guess the plug was loose. I hope we don't have to replace the computer. Let me know what you did

GWR
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
we ran a test to see what had power and what didnt against my jeep

oxjeeps
03-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Do you know if the numbers matter on the computer? 305 or 355. Mine has a 355. Will a 305 work. The numbers are for a 97 2.5 liter.

GWR
03-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I ordered a computer on line at AUTOPARTS.COM and the computers were 305 ihope this helps good luck.

StaticBalance
04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I did read a technical service bulletin stating that the ECM (computer) connector does come loose, and this would definately cause the problems you described. Try wiggling the connector with the engine running and see what happens. The ECM is located under the hood next to the firewall on the passenger side.

Add your comment to this topic!