Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Rotors : Drilled vs Slotted vs Solid

Xenostalgia
02-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Whats the diff and why should I buy one over the other? (97 v-6 front discs only)

DaMoNe6969
02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I would go with slotted, not cross-drilled..

The perpose of the slots and venting is to dissapate heat faster, (less rotor warp, longer lasting break system) and it prevents the gas created from building up inbetween the pad and rotor and preventing the pad from making complete contact..

But for daily drivers or street racers, ive heard a few stories of crossdrilled rotors cracking from hole to hole, plus, IMO they're just for show.. I would stick with slotted rotors

88ReX
02-04-2005, 06:13 PM
A slotted rotor won't stop any better than a blank unless under extreme track conditions. Also slotted rotors are like cheese graters on the pads and accelerate pad wear and if the pads are not seated properly then you can end up wearing your pads such that they look like a wedge. So you would in effect be paying more for something that you don't need/use.

Brake pads will make much more of a difference in your braking than rotors will. Check out Hawk, EBC, and Carbontech for pads. If you are serious about braking then also consider ss brake lines that will improve pedal feel and decrease and flex in the lines.

And remember its not your brakes that stop the car by themselves, tires do the other half of the work....get a rim/tire combo w/ a bigger contact patch and it will help out much more than those slotted/drilled rotors.

Rod&Custom
02-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Drilled rotors are for extreme racing, and as Demon said, will spider crack between holes. This obviously isn't a problem for race teams when they replace everything after 1 race. So the summary is: drilled isn't practical(but does help dissapate heat under extreme conditions), slotted also helps gasses escape, but won't crack(that I know of) If the whole cheese grader story is true then I would stay away from them also. Like 88Rex said, regular rotors(upgraded sizing of course) and upraded calipers with more pistons should meet your stopping needs(whatever that may be). If you are upgrading due to a larger wheel size, I commend you because I see so many 19 and 20 inch rims with stock rotors and calipers...not good! You NEED larger calipers and rotors to stop you larger rotating mass. I'll stop rambling now.

Chevyracincamaro
02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
i find it hard to believe that the cross drilled will crack under normal driving. the drilled and slotted ones will crack cause it removes too much material. if car makers like mercedez, aston martin, and ferrari put cross drilled on their cars, im not inclined to argue. also, if you think of it in terms of physics, the cross-drilled rotors should work better, in terms of amount of gas displaced and airflow through the rotor...

Rod&Custom
02-04-2005, 06:51 PM
You are probably right. Now that I think about it, I was watching a racing show so those rotors were being driven under much more extreme conditions. But if I think about that then I think that he really doesn't need drilled rotors for everyday driving on a V6...

Chevyracincamaro
02-04-2005, 06:55 PM
certainly not, i would recommend the slotted if they are cheapier. the only problem with the slotted rotors is that you have to go in and clean out the slots every once in a while cause they fill up with brake dust...

tacoma man.
02-04-2005, 06:57 PM
i have the cross drill on my z. seem fine to me.

Chevyracincamaro
02-04-2005, 07:02 PM
i really think that unless you are out running le mans or nascar your not gonna see any problems. i think that you would be ok with the weekend romps through the back roads...

KaotiKCamaro5
02-04-2005, 07:28 PM
in my opinion.. if it makes me stop.. its doin its job.. i dont need anything too fancy.. if i was gonna upgrade, i would go with slotted, i think they're cheaper than drilled or cross-drilled rotors are..

*another point, if you're upgrading brake components.. dont forget that it doesnt end at rotors.. new calipers and pads are also something to be looking into..

-Josh-
02-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Get whatever you can afford....

Xenostalgia
02-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Mostly my rotors are warped and gonna get new brake pads. So I was looking to see if the difference in cash for some slotted rotors would be worth it. since it doesn't seem that it is i'll probably get solid ones and some nice end brake pads. Any suggestions guys? (97 maro front discs only)

-Josh-
02-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Just get some AC Delco's, or if you want slightly high priced get some willwoods.

DaMoNe6969
02-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Raybestos make good stuff.. Wilwood is mad expensive!

Add your comment to this topic!