Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Accord ex knocking problem

Accord_Grl
02-04-2005, 11:52 AM
My 91 accord ex coupe is making a knocking sound. And my oil light flashes. So i went and got an oil change and it's still doing the same thing. Could this be caused by the oil pump??

notyouraveragegirl
02-04-2005, 12:03 PM
How long after the oil change was it that the problem started up again?

Does the knocking occur all the time? or is it just on acceleration and/or uphill driving?

jeffcoslacker
02-04-2005, 02:36 PM
My 91 accord ex coupe is making a knocking sound. And my oil light flashes. So i went and got an oil change and it's still doing the same thing. Could this be caused by the oil pump??

If that's at idle, oil pump or worn out main bearings, most likely.

Accord_Grl
02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
It's not only at idle it's all the time.

notyouraveragegirl
02-04-2005, 02:54 PM
well the light could be the oil pump or, if you're lucky, just the pressure sender

if it turns out the knocking and the light problem are separate (which they could be, i can't hear you car so i don't know) -- you could have other problems, too --

what's the mileage on your car & do you know anything about ownership/ service history?

jeffcoslacker
02-04-2005, 05:26 PM
It may be the pump then. Usually, excessive bearing clearance will cause a distinct knock at idle, along with a drop in pressure that will cause the light to come on and flicker, going away as RPM's increase. The sound will usually change with RPM, getting really bad at a certain RPM (like 2500 or so).

It sounds like you just have low pressure at all times, a bad pump, or hogged pickup or filter being most likely suspects. No top end noise?

jeffcoslacker
02-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Is the oil pump drive off the timing belt on the Accord? I seem to remember them blowing seals behind the timing cover on those.

Accord_Grl
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
No it only does it on low rpm's.

carlos80
02-04-2005, 06:01 PM
ypu probably shouldn't drive it much. why don't you check the oil pressure?

jeffcoslacker
02-05-2005, 06:13 AM
No it only does it on low rpm's.
It seems that you have low pressure, but the pump is still working, at least to some extent. As you bring the RPM's up, it is providing enough pressure to float the bearings and put the light out. You probably have one main bearing bleeding off pressure due to wear, or the pump is weak for some reason. The crank and rod mains are the first to get pressure off the pump, so any excessive loss due to wear there will lower pressure throughout the whole oiling system. Bringing engine speed up will overcome the loss by increasing volume of oil delivered, and raising the pressure. If it were mine, I'd see if there is a place where a gauge can be hooked up to determine actual oil pump delivery pressure (there is a diagnostic port to do this on some engines.), and if it is in spec, then the pan needs to come off and see what's happening. It won't be long before you wear through what's left of the bearing shell and start grinding crank journal away, don't let it go. I bought a Mazda with a similar problem a few years back, hoping it was still saveable. The crank jounal for the one bearing looked like someone took a grinder to it, the bottom bearing shell had been worn in two. The job then went from being a simple, cheap bearing replacement to a new crank and all bearings.:disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!