1989 Chevrolet Celebrity Ignition Coil help

n0c7
02-04-2005, 10:58 AM
I am working on a 1989 Chevy Celebrity 2.5L V4. It was running fine but it is now running only on two cylinders. Everything pointed towards a bad ignition coil as there was no spark and the wires were fine. I found out that this car has 2 ignition coils - 2 plugs per coil. I managed to remove the faulty ignition coil but I cannot get the new one to mount back on. I cannot see what I am doing since the ignition coil faces the firewall and I have to do everything by just feel. There are 2 nuts that have "free-play". To be more clear on that - the nuts need to be held from the back side while I thread and tighten the bolts but there is no way for me to get my hand behind to the back side. For those of you who have done this, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Do I have to remove whatever the ignition coils are mounting to? I'm kind of stumped here.

jsgold
02-04-2005, 08:17 PM
I replaced one on my dad's 89 Olds last year. Here is what I suggest. Take out the whole thing. The coil packs sit on top of the ignition module, which is flat and has a couple of sets of wires. I tried removing the coils first, bad mistake as this caused more trouble than worth as the coil bolts are near impossible to deal with. To remove the assy, you have to remove the larger bolts that hold the module down. I do not remember for sure, but I think 2 or 3 hold it in. Be careful when removing it as your crank sensor is actually attached to this thing and is inside your engine block! It is several inches long and most likely will crack when taking out. You need to replace this anyway to avoid future trouble, but don't want to have to fish for the broken pc. Take this out and have it tested (the module) at any Advance or NAPA. If you have lost a coil the rest is most lilkely ready to go. And given this is a major pain to do, if money is not an issue, then replace all of it anyway. Module around 80 bucks, and sensor around 20. You already have a new coil I assume so get another one. Bolt it all togther and install as one assy. You might want to get a helper and a small mirror to help you with this. I ended up unhooking front motor mount and lowering engine to even have enough room to work, even with help. Hope you have more room than that.

n0c7
02-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks man. I will have to give that a try, but unfortunately I cannot move any engine mounts as I have nothing to use for leverage, so I'll still be working on this blind for now. Adleast I know I'm not alone here.

jsgold
02-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I was "lucky" that there was one main overhead mount that I could unhook. We jacked the car up, unhooked the front mount, and then lowered the car down with a block under the rear of the motor. Only moved a few inches, but it was enough. The pocket mirror is very helpful too. Good luck.

n0c7
02-07-2005, 01:23 PM
We were able to get the ignition module out without breaking the crank sensor. We then installed the replacement ignition module(for plugs 1 & 4). Put it all back, and two cylinders are still not firing!! So either the new coil is defective or part of the ignition module is shot. *curses*

n0c7
02-14-2005, 10:51 AM
End result -

1) Replacement of ignition coil which fires cylinders 1 & 4
2) Replacement of ignition module
3) Replacement of spark plug wires

Runs like new.. for now.

Add your comment to this topic!