can u register a car in a stae u dont live in?

honda555
02-03-2005, 09:49 PM
i was wandering if it was possible to register a car in a state that u dont live in?

drdisque
02-03-2005, 10:27 PM
you can only register a car in the same state as your drivers liscence, to get a drivers liscence in a state you only need to list an address though.

honda555
02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
you can only register a car in the same state as your drivers liscence, to get a drivers liscence in a state you only need to list an address though.thankyou!!!!!!!

CraigFL
02-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Since state laws govern, I suspect that you can register a car in a state you don't have a permanent residence. You will have to have a mailing address(probably more than a box number), and comply with the requirements...

curtis73
02-07-2005, 03:22 AM
I would be easy to register the car in a different state, but not legally. I maintain my old PA address for certain things (for instance; the land I own in PA is easier to pay taxes while maintaining that address) I also have one car that is at my parents' house that keeps a PA registration. If I were to bring that car to CA where I currently live, I would have 20 days to transfer my registration to CA.

Although I have encountered a few friends who have decided to not change their registration, it can easily backfire on you. The common logic is that if you don't get a ticket or commit any violations, how do they know you are here? My friend from GA moved here about two years ago. Last year she got a notice in the mail of her violation and a court date. Ever get followed by a cop? Many times they run random tag numbers to check for thefts, warrants, etc. She happened to have hers run twice in her time here in CA and they issued a warrant for her arrest. She had to prove that she was not in CA for more than 20 days and she couldn't. It cost her about $3200.

Most states aren't that strict, but may I ask why you are curious? After living in six different states in five years (including the toughest, like PA, NY, and CA; as well as the easiest like LA and AL) I never found any drawbacks to registering your car in the state where you live.

Another big benefit to registering the car at your address... If your insurance company finds that you have been living at an address other than where your car is registered/insured, they do not have to honor claims that you make. With my insurance company, if they believed that I was at a new address for more than 60 days, they didn't have to pay me a cent for claims AND they could drop my insurance. So, if my car was stolen at a location other than where it was registered/insured and they believed it was more than 60 days, they had the legal right to drop my insurance and not pay me anything for my loss. Not to mention that in states where insurance is required, you then lose your registration. The beaurocrats have done their homework, and now you've done yours. :)

THETAZMAN
02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I am not sure if this helps or not.

I live in NY I have a AZ lic. I use to live in AZ and I have cars reg in both states and carry insurance in NY. Where I had problems is insurance companies want you to have a lic in the state you are reg. a car. I use liberty Mutual and they didn't care, where I had a problem is my bikes, I used a friend who is an insurance broker and I paid a whole year at once. So what it boils down to is I have 1 car reg in AZ and insured in NY and a few more Reg in NY and insured in NY. I just Reg my Jeep in NY and I was asked at the DMV why I had a AZ Lic. my reply was I go to AZ now and again (I don't all that much anymore), and I said, besides look at when it expires "2022" for the same money and yours only last 4 years. So yes you can Reg cars in other states and you have to have an address in that state. My friend forwards me my mail from AZ ie. renewal on plates, and I do everything via mail or phone.

Hope this helps
TAZ

PS
The law reads in NY you have to change everything to NY once you start work or 10 days living in NY(I don't work, I'm retired/disabled) Or have a child in school (Mine are all grown up)

Add your comment to this topic!