Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Malibu

I-HATE-CHEVY
02-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Hello all,
Wife and I have owned this for a little over three years now. Nothing major has happened, at all. Recently, I have been reading about this intake gasket leaking. People have mentioned that there cars seems to run a little warmer? Mine does not overheat, just hotter that normal. I have had to put more water in the radiator, and when I did that, the light on the dash went away. We also had that "no heat" thing coming from the vents. We have also had the winshield washer container that somehow has developed a leak and will not hold water.
Ok, so here's the question, as dumb as it may sound. Does that washer tank have anything to do with the coolant system? I'm sure not. Since I have added water to the radiator, the other issues (no heat and dash light) have gone away. Now I have had to add more water, not a lot though. Is this indcative of the dreaded intake gasket going south?
Also, if this is going bad, is it unsafe to drive, or can you drive it as long as you keep water in the radiator?
Thanks in advance.

P.S. I apologize for the user name. Guess I should really change it.

molehole
02-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Never put straight water in the radiator because it dilutes the antifreeze and may cause it to overheat! Only put DEXCOOL in diluted to 50/50. Change your radiator cap to a non-GM cap because they let air in the system. No a windshield washer jar has nothing to do with the cooling system. I would flush the radiator and putin new DEXCOOL 50/50 diluted with a new cap and check it everyday for a few days until all the air is out of the system. Good Luck

goofy4467
02-04-2005, 11:54 PM
If it is leaking, look on the ends of the heads to intake. this is the normal spot to leak, drivers end forward side is the only spot ive seen them leak.
Look for the orange fluid.
PS if it the washer tank leaking I have a used one I would sell cheap, but I would look at the pump it plugs in to the bottom of the tank aft corner.
You have to remove the bottom lh wheel close out panels to see it (its forward of the LH front wheel

I-HATE-CHEVY
02-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to check out where the washer container is, although it does not look extremely ease.
Out of curiosity, how much do you want for the tank? And, where are you located?
John

Never put straight water in the radiator because it dilutes the antifreeze and may cause it to overheat! Only put DEXCOOL in diluted to 50/50. Change your radiator cap to a non-GM cap because they let air in the system. No a windshield washer jar has nothing to do with the cooling system. I would flush the radiator and putin new DEXCOOL 50/50 diluted with a new cap and check it everyday for a few days until all the air is out of the system. Good Luck

Dawnna
02-09-2005, 05:40 AM
We have a 98 Malibu with the same problems you are experiencing with yours (as are lots of people). The washer reservoir leaks, as does the coolant reservoir. I read that GM is aware of the problem with the intake manifold gasket/water pump issue and "blames" it on the reservoir cap ... take that advice and change that cap, especially if the coolant appears to be leaking around the reservoir area, or tighten that little baby up really, really good ... I was told the same thing! With the DEXCOOL, hmmmm, I guess there are two ways to view that, you either like it as an anti-freeze or you don't. There are class action suits against DEXCOOL for its lack of performance as touted by DEXCOOL (protective property wears out less than mileage specified) and/or its corrosive properties ... to what .... yes, GASKETS, specially those plastic ones!

Hey, I am wondering ... are you experiencing the brake problems that all of are complaining about .... excessive pad and rotor wear?

I-HATE-CHEVY
02-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Hello there,
I think I'm going to look into another type of cap and have the dexcool removed. As far as the resivoir, I'm going to take it out and see what's up, it may be as simple as a leaking hose, I don't know.
Brakes: Well, I have only replaced the front once, in 85,000 miles, and that was at about 78,000 so I would say that's not too unusual.
I beleive that the rotors are slightly warped, but it doesn't seem to be enough to notice when braking.

So I'm wondering, what type of cap are other people going to?

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

We have a 98 Malibu with the same problems you are experiencing with yours (as are lots of people). The washer reservoir leaks, as does the coolant reservoir. I read that GM is aware of the problem with the intake manifold gasket/water pump issue and "blames" it on the reservoir cap ... take that advice and change that cap, especially if the coolant appears to be leaking around the reservoir area, or tighten that little baby up really, really good ... I was told the same thing! With the DEXCOOL, hmmmm, I guess there are two ways to view that, you either like it as an anti-freeze or you don't. There are class action suits against DEXCOOL for its lack of performance as touted by DEXCOOL (protective property wears out less than mileage specified) and/or its corrosive properties ... to what .... yes, GASKETS, specially those plastic ones!

Hey, I am wondering ... are you experiencing the brake problems that all of are complaining about .... excessive pad and rotor wear?

johnholl
02-09-2005, 11:15 AM
check your oil level to make sure your collent hasn't entered the crackcase. If your oil is brown and frothy and high up on the dipstick you need a new intake gasket before your engine siezes up. Unsure about the recovery tank cap replacement, sounds like a GM fish-story to me to blame everything on the cap. But let me know.

molehole
02-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Those caps are a lot of the problem. Many have switched to a STANT radiator cap. The GM caps let in air thus causing oxygen to mix with dexcool which in turn destroys it and your engine. If you do decide to take out the DEXCOOL, have the system backflushed to get everything out before putting regular old green stuff in there. As long as you change the cap to a Non-GM it should cure alot of the problems. Good Luck

Dawnna
02-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks for your comments about the radiator cap and yes, switching it is a good idea - NON-GM never thought of that! And, I never knew you could put the ole green stuff in your car .. thanks for that bit of info! What do you know about abs pumps ... LOL ... ?

I-HATE-CHEVY
02-10-2005, 10:41 AM
All I know about GM ABS pumps is that they are typically slower than the inports. sorry.

J
Thanks for your comments about the radiator cap and yes, switching it is a good idea - NON-GM never thought of that! And, I never knew you could put the ole green stuff in your car .. thanks for that bit of info! What do you know about abs pumps ... LOL ... ?

johnholl
02-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Those caps are a lot of the problem. Many have switched to a STANT radiator cap. The GM caps let in air thus causing oxygen to mix with dexcool which in turn destroys it and your engine. If you do decide to take out the DEXCOOL, have the system backflushed to get everything out before putting regular old green stuff in there. As long as you change the cap to a Non-GM it should cure alot of the problems. Good Luck

Well, it seems to me the expansion tank is normally half-filled with air anyway. So I can't see how the mixing of air with the Dexcool can be avioded regardless of the seal on the cap.

When my Engine let go at 90K, I had no external leaking, what so ever, all the coolent leaked into the crancase.

I've also read that under no conditions are you to replace the Dexcool with eythel-glycol. What if I replace the Dexcool on an annual basis? What does GM say about replacing their cap with a Stant?

I'm not being a doubting Thomas, I just need more conclusive data

molehole
02-11-2005, 10:14 AM
3.1 and 3.4 V6's as a rule have problems with the head gaskets leaking which in turn can cause engine failure. The problem with the GM caps is they let in air instead of pressurising the system to say 15 lbs of pressure and letting out the excess air. I guess I didn't make myself totally clear above. I would not switch out DEXCOOL personally but it can be done if it is flushed properly. Another solution is to change it in smaller intervals-thats what I do. Also prestone has out a new antifreeze that I hear mixes with anything. Gm's solution to the problems was to replace the cap but that doesn't fix everything. If the green stuff gets mixed in with dexcool it causes it to turn acidic which can really do some damage. As long as you keep an eye on your engine and change out the Dexcool every say year or two then there will probally be less problems. Everytime you fill up with gas check your oil and antifreeze. Preventative maintanence goes a long way. Good Luck

johnholl
02-11-2005, 11:12 AM
So your saying:

1] get the Stant cap.

2] replace the Dexcool with new Dexcool every year. I know not to mix the two types

3] check your oil and coolent every week, which I do now with a little prayer first.

Thanks for your input

John H.

molehole
02-11-2005, 06:59 PM
You can replace it every year but it is not totally necessary. As long as it keeps a bright orangish red color and doesn't get rusty looking it can go probally for say 2 or more years. I have some in my Blazer that has been in there for 3 years which I aam getting ready to change when it gets a little warmer. If you catch something early by taking a few minutes a week you can save yourself A LOT of aggravation and extra money that doesn't need to be spent. BTW if you by the Prestone Dexcool it is made with better components that Genuine Gm stuff and lasts longer. Just a thought when you go to buy it. THe prestone dexcool has something in it that protects better- at least from what i have heard. Good Luck

johnholl
02-24-2005, 11:28 AM
what is the best way to remove and refill the coolent. Is there a petcock on the radiator? Is refilling a slow process, being there is no cap in the radiator itself, filling must take place at the expansion tank.

thanks,

John

KristinBrandt
02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
FYI: the coolant tank cap... mine broke off on the tank when I took my car to the mechanic for my coolant leak (the problem with the leak ended up being a huge one..) but aside from that, It benifited us a TON to buy a new cap, and the guys at Shucks auto said they order about 10 a month for malibu owners. Ours not only let air out but broke off and needed to be pried off. Thanks chevy!

molehole
02-25-2005, 11:10 AM
In order to change the antifreeze, there should be a pet cock on either the right or left side of the bottom of the radiator( I forget which side). Since you don't have a radiator cap persay, you have to fill the reservoir and it should suck it in. BTW mix it 50/50. If you drain everything including the block it takes like 12 quarts or so which is about 3 gallons or so. Sometimes its betterto have these DEXCOOL systems serviced by a dealer if you are having problems with no heat or it overheating. If you are just doing it for preventative maintanence then just drain the radiator and put innew fluid. It will probally take a gallon and a half or so to fill the radiator maybe a little less or more. Good Luck

galantin
03-06-2005, 01:17 PM
i work at a chevy dealer and i have replaced hundreds or intake gaskets and the cause seems to be the four bolts on the outside edges of the manifold work themselves loose. they have a very low torque spec and coupled with a crappy plastic gasket they are prone to leaking. i have never heard of anything to do with a radiator cap. as far a dex-cool coolant, every mechanic at my shop with a gm car that had this stuff in it now has green coolant.

johnholl
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
i work at a chevy dealer and i have replaced hundreds or intake gaskets and the cause seems to be the four bolts on the outside edges of the manifold work themselves loose. they have a very low torque spec and coupled with a crappy plastic gasket they are prone to leaking. i have never heard of anything to do with a radiator cap. as far a dex-cool coolant, every mechanic at my shop with a gm car that had this stuff in it now has green coolant.

Should I periodicaly re-tourque the bolts to spec? Or will this further deform the gasket? I think the faulty "recovery cap" theory doesn't make any sense either. As for Dexcool, I'm going to change it annualy.

Proud member of the 2ND Engine Club. GM can kiss my ass

Right now I have a fuel pump on the Malibu that may or may not be intermittent, so I'll be sharing a ride in with my wife and her reliable Prizm.

galantin
03-06-2005, 07:58 PM
what i do is apply a gasket sealer to both sides of a new intake gasket and put loc-tite on the intake bolts with a little bit more torque than spec. if you re-torque the bolts it may help but the gasket is likely already deformed and to access the bolts you need to remove certain componets such as the powersteering pump and upper-intake manifold. if you are that far into it you may as well go ahead and pull the lower intake and replace the gasket. if you keep dex-cool in your engine then i would recomend replacing it at least every two years as it contains a sealant in the coolant and it tends to gunk up after time. to drain it open the radiator drain at the front of the radiator on the drivers side and remove the plug on the engine right above the oil filter. when you fill it up remember to open the air bleeders, one on top of the heater pipe that sits on top of the water pump and there may be one on the thermostat housing depending on year. fuel pumps are not usually a problem with the malibu's but a good way to check is to get it to not start and jack up the rear of the car, there is a plug by the rear of the gas tank off to the right that goes to the fuel pump. probe the gray wire with a test light as some body turns the ignition on to prime the fuel pump. if it does (and you dont hear the pump run)you need to replace the fuel pump, if it doesnt then you need to take it to the dealer and have the rest of the system checked out. that prizm is reliable because it is made by toyota.

wymi
03-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Does the gas tank need to be removed to change the fuel pump on the malibu? How does the fuel pump come out?

galantin
03-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Does the gas tank need to be removed to change the fuel pump on the malibu? How does the fuel pump come out?

yes it has to come down, its not really hard, ive done one in my driveway before without any trouble but it is much easier with a lift

Add your comment to this topic!