Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 XLE brake pedal almost touches floor

risktaker99
02-03-2005, 05:31 PM
The car failed NJ state Inspection due to the brake pedal going almost to the floorboard. The car has 28,000 miles. The brakes stop the car very well. I brought it to the dealer. They checked all the pads, calipers, and parking brake and replaced the brake fluid and bleeded the lines ($118). The brake pedal still went to close to the floorboard--I had failed inspection again. Then, the dealer replaced the master brake cylinder ($385) and said it was much better. I disagreed and brought it to the state inspection station. They rejected it again for the same reason. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions???

rum runner
02-04-2005, 03:16 AM
What started this condition? Was it gradual? Do you have ABS? If the brakes are firm at some point, it's probably not hydraulics (leaking brake fluid or air in the line)

I don’t have experience with Camry brakes, but some cars have an adjustable power brake booster push rod inside the power brake booster, the round thing on the firewall, driver’s side. When the booster goes out the brakes can act funny before the booster totally fails, you also can have vacuum leaks in that area…………my 2 cents worth

csaxon
02-04-2005, 03:15 PM
If the dealer performed all this work and issued a workorder receipt verifying that your brake system meets the standards of normal operation, but the inspector says it doesn't. Then you have a valid claim against your dealer. Let them or the regional Toyota representative explain why their brake system should pass inspection.

If the state says they are unsafe, then you have a valid legal claim for reparations against the dealer and Toyota. Furthermore, you go to the local and state DA since they are disputing Toyota's claim of compliance through the inspector and get them to file a conjoined claim for you and the state.

By the way if you have rear drum brakes and the shoe clearance is out of adjustment you'll get the low spongy pedal problem.

kenny1773
02-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I went through something similar in VA with a 1995 LE V6 camry.

I went to the inspectors boss (in VA this is a part of the State Police). I spoke with the inspection cheif officer for my region and he agreed to look at my work receipts for the brake work and look at the car itself.

After seeing my receipts from my mechanic stating my brakes were in perfect working order (not a toyota dealer) he wanted to drive the car.

After about 15 minutes of driving it and slamming the brake, the officer agreed my car was fine. He called the inspector and told him to pass my car.

All in all I was out about 2 days work and a ton of hassle all because the inspector thought he was going to get some money from me for repair work on the brakes (inspector worked in a repair shop and offered to fix the problem himself) There was nothing wrong with my brakes.

The office told me they have a problem with Camry's and Corollas many model years of each that do not pass the 'reserve pedal height test' in the state of VA.

Simply ask the inspector who his manager/supervisor is and keep going up the line until you get someone with enough intelligence to look at your statements from the dealer. Camry's just have a soft pedal by design.

If you can't get anywhere with that tactic, install fresh pads on all 4 wheels and install some steel braided brake lines. The combo of those will raise the pedal enough to make you pass. Seems rediculous to have to do to meet some bullshit state inspection regulation.

Another thing you can do is to call toyota and ask for the toyota factory method to test pedal height. Part of the problem is that the state inspector uses a 'generic' pedal height test and not one meant for a camry. Toyota has a very scientific test that includes exact foot lbs of pressure applied to the pedal and exact measurements for movements and clearances when that specific force is applied. See if the inspector can give you actual measurements for the test (mine could not).

Add your comment to this topic!