Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Jimmy Shuts Off

Nethervue
02-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,
I thought this problem was just my wife not turning the key far enough, but it happened to me....This has happened quite a few times, start the truck to let it warm up, go in the house for a few minutes, come out and the truck has turned itself off. A few months ago, I had the plugs, wires, cap and rotor button changed, so they should be fine. No service lights are coming on.

Any ideas?

Rockyrider
02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
I had a similar problem with a car quite a while ago. After some work on the plugs/distributor/cables the engine would quit as if shut off. It wouldn't start again for a while, and would just turn over. After a bit, it would start and be fine for maybe days or weeks, then have the same problem.
Turned out that a wire leading into the distributor had been pinched during the work, and the exposed conductor would ground against the distributor and short out the ignition circuit. This happened off and on due to heat expansion moving cable harnesses around and general vibration.
It was a real bugger to track down, but was a very easy fix.

Good luck!

Nethervue
02-03-2005, 03:26 PM
I just came home and tried to duplicate the problem. If I rev it up really high, when I lay off the pedal, it comes really closing to stalling....does it every time. The RPM needle drops all the way down.

JackDaniels386
02-03-2005, 07:34 PM
check ur engine vacuum with a vacuum gauge, and make sure thats up to specs, if its not you could have a stuck PCV valve or a leaking vacuum line.

If your vacuum is fine, check your fuel pressure and make sure you're getting enough of that. If you're lacking fuel pressure, you might need to replace your fuel filter or there might be something wrong with the fuel pump or the wiring to the fuel pump.

If that's not it, put a multimeter to ur battery to make sure its putting out around 12.6 volts. If it's under that, get it tested at Auto Zone or some other place like that, and if its still good get it recharged, If its not good anymore just buy a new one.

If its over 12.6, then you probably have a bad voltage regulator.

If the battery is good, then take the alternator to Auto Zone or one of those places for them to test its putting out the right amps and stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!