Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch problems 89 TrooperII

nidansan
02-03-2005, 09:21 AM
I have a 1989 4x4 manual transmission with a 6 cyl, 2.8L engine.

I am having a little problem when I first start to drive in the AM or after the truck is parked for a couple of hours. The problem is that the gears do not engage gracefully, especially first and reverse. After I pump the clutch 5 to 10 times or run for a couple of miles, the gears start working OK. I checked the pedal free play and it is correct, the clutch and trans work properly after the initial problem. This problem started happening about a month ago.

I checked for leaks and there are none. I blead the system and that cured the problem for a week or so.

I am begining to think that air is getting into the system since the clutch pedal feels a little spongy at the begining.

I have already replaced the trans fluid and made sure that it is full. My next plan of attack is to rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder (got kits from the autopart).

Has anyone had this problem or have an oppinion?

Please email me and let me know.

Thank you

M_A_G_N_U_M
02-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Bought the rebuild kits for the slave and master clutch cylinders at Autozone for about $15 each. I think you are right on with your diagnosis. Quick and easy job. I had to use emory cloth and carb cleaner inside the cylinders to clean out the grime. Also have to keep the little clutch cylinder full of fluid when you start bleeding the lines.

nidansan
02-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Bought the rebuild kits for the slave and master clutch cylinders at Autozone for about $15 each. I think you are right on with your diagnosis. Quick and easy job. I had to use emory cloth and carb cleaner inside the cylinders to clean out the grime. Also have to keep the little clutch cylinder full of fluid when you start bleeding the lines.

Thank you for your reply. It feels good to know that I am on the right track. I will post a reply as soon as I do the job.

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!