Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 explorer clutch problem

Over1981
02-02-2005, 11:20 PM
I have a 91 explorer 4 wheel while i was slowing for a red light i reached for the clutch and had nothing pedal just went to the floor. I pumped the pedal 3-4 times and clutch came back. I continued to drive with no problems and clutch felt the same as before this incident, only having problems going to third gear every now and then. any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated. the only reasoning i can come up with so far is the slave cylinder.

flatire
02-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I have a 91 explorer 4 wheel while i was slowing for a red light i reached for the clutch and had nothing pedal just went to the floor. I pumped the pedal 3-4 times and clutch came back. I continued to drive with no problems and clutch felt the same as before this incident, only having problems going to third gear every now and then. any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated. the only reasoning i can come up with so far is the slave cylinder.

from what you said about the pedal would lead me to believe that it is the slave cylinder or a leak in the slave cylinder or in a hydrolic line.check for leaks ,check fluid level and make sure that the lines arnt leaking.if there are no leaks its more than likely that its the slave cylinder.but you should probably get a few more opinions before you replace the part.hope this helps you.

flatire

Over1981
02-12-2005, 10:34 PM
The clutch has went for good. While driving down the interstate i started to feel a little slipping in the motor when i started to slow down I pressed the gas a little and engine just reved but was in fifth gear. As i pulled over i heard a lound metal to metal sound while it rolled and when i shut it off smoke began to roll out of under the vehicle. I pressed the clutch and there was nothing. While I walked the very long 10 miles to the next exit I knew the clutch was gone but could not help to think the tranny was gone to. I got it home today and got in to see if it would do anything and there was pressure on the clutch pedal but it would just barely turn over last night it did start right back up after i shut it off. I only tried it once. and also if you try to go through the gears while it is sitting there you can go 1,2,R cannot force it into 4,5. a buddy of mine said that the metal sounds was probably the pressure plate but like any other possiblr suggestions. I do know i will need the clutch replaced.
Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!