Jaguar v12..... Turbocharged?

Kaustiq
02-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm talking about a V12 5.3 HE here. Would it be possible/worthwhile to turbocharge this (obviously, I am thinking of twin turbo), as I think it would make a really unique and cool project. What is your opinion?

Cheers people,

Kaustiq.

beyondloadedSE
02-02-2005, 11:39 PM
whats the stock compression?

Kaustiq
02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply.

From research, the compression seems to be around 12 to 1, which seems quite high :(.

Anyways, what do you think?

Cheers

Kaustiq

beyondloadedSE
02-04-2005, 02:36 PM
I wouldnt even touch the motor with forced induction then. 12:1 compression is EXTREMELY high for forced induction. Sorry dude. If you could drop in some lower compression pistons like 8.5:1 or 9:1 you would be golden.

Kaustiq
02-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Oh well, thanks a lot for the advice mate.

Cheers,

Kaustiq

clawhammer
02-05-2005, 12:43 AM
You probably still could, but would have to run on like 110 octane gas ALL THE TIME

CBFryman
02-05-2005, 09:39 AM
or run extremely low boost, but then it would be nearly pointless.

SaabJohan
02-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Setup the engine for E85 fuel, machine out some material in the heads and you can use it. As long you use a EMS which controls fuel and ignition very high compression ratios are possible, however, it's usually easier to simply decrease the CR.

I don't know anything about that engine but at some point you will need stronger conrods and pistons and that is going to cost you since you will need 12 of each.

A V12 engine is basicly two I6 engines on one crankshaft with the two cylinders on each crankthrow. When turbocharging you can preferbly use two turbochargers with twin scroll housings connecting three cylinders to each intake.

duplox
02-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Setup the engine for E85 fuel, machine out some material in the heads and you can use it. As long you use a EMS which controls fuel and ignition very high compression ratios are possible, however, it's usually easier to simply decrease the CR.

I don't know anything about that engine but at some point you will need stronger conrods and pistons and that is going to cost you since you will need 12 of each.

A V12 engine is basicly two I6 engines on one crankshaft with the two cylinders on each crankthrow. When turbocharging you can preferbly use two turbochargers with twin scroll housings connecting three cylinders to each intake.

Agreed.
I'll add that since it runs 12:1 compression, it almost surely has a built in automatic knock activated ignition retard, so you have some safeguard already in place. I'm sure Jaguar doesn't want their engines pinging to death if an ignorant customer puts 87 octane in it. You should definately make more room in the chamber and look into getting new pistons. I also do not know much about these engines, but I can't imagine there is a terribly large aftermarket selection for them. You will probably have to get custom pistons, which usually run in the $90-100 a piston price range.
For an engine like this, I would suggest nothing less than:
Porting the chambers
Custom cut pistons
Strengthening bottom end if neccesary
Recurving ignition and fuel(I don't know if the Jaguar computer can handle boost, I'm sure some computer jag makes can, you can probably swap for one of those if yours can't. Again I don't know anything about Jags, but its likely). If not I'm sure there is some piggyback controller for it.
Stock cams and exhaust would probably work fine until around the 6+psi range. They'll work afterwards, but not ideal.
I always recommend building for beyond what you expect you're going to produce.
I have a beautiful picture of a Jag I-6 or V12 tri turbo exhaust manifold. The caption doesn't say - all I know is it has 6 cylinders in a row. Its either a 6 turbo V12 or a 3 turbo I-6. I'm pretty sure its a 6, to be a 12 the engine bay would have to be huge. Either way its gorgeous. I'll scan it tomorrow, its from Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Page 123 for those who have it...

Add your comment to this topic!