Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 grand marquis starting problem

frederick36
02-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Hello gentlemen.

I have a rather seriously annoying problem I encounter whenever starting my car if it has been off for a good while.

When I start my 98 Grand Marquis (68k), it turns on and whatnot but will just die out within 3 seconds. I can start it again and it does the same thing. If I press on the gas as I turn it on it will stay on.. but if I remove my foot from the pedal it will die down again and turn off.

After a few minutes of stepping on the pedal it will 'come to' and run pretty alright. I am getting alot of noise but apparently that is caused by some belts or something.

I am not sure what else to add, if anything is unclear please ask me to clarify on a specific point.

I thank all in advance for any suggestions/advice.

radioman2002
02-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Sounds like the AIC valve, had one do the same thing, was a pain driving home with the gas just slightly off the bottom. Apparently the AIC works when the TPC is at idle, and disconnects when you come off bottom. You could try spraying carb cleaned in it after removing it. Thats what cleared mine up.

ModMech
02-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Replace the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid, simple two bolt one connector job on the throttle housing (centered in the engine bay), you likely won't even get dirty.

Add your comment to this topic!